Training - What Training?!

Hope the treatment works Hewligan, it’s a very naughty sounding illness.

When I’m running on the moors I tend to wear calf guards to reduce the risk of getting bitten and usually check my legs when I finish.

Jeff

This makes me appreciate the fact I pound the pavements of London! Little chance of this where I live … just lung disease from all the pollution instead :roll_eyes:

I must be lucky, cos I’ve never had a tick before. And I’m always in the long grass on the Moor, or heathland and stuff. Not that I’m keen for that stat to change!

Well me too, until this August. I run trails ALL THE TIME. I live at the bottom of the North Downs and run them frequently. I have raced multiple trail ultras. I go hiking in Canada, Scotland, Wales. I had never once been bitten by a tick, until the day I was.

The only advice I would give is to not ignore bites. Check them, and then monitor them for a few weeks, because the bullseye rash took almost 2 weeks to appear and was only really visible for 2-3 days before it faded to just a red splosh.

I will still be running trails. I will just do so with long trousers. Even that may not matter, and I may never be bitten again, but, equally I could be bitten tomorrow.

1 Like

I run a fair bit on the moors through the heather etc and I’m fairly sure I’ve never been bitten, and hope that continues.

But a friend says he’s found tick’s on his legs quite a few times, he’sa cyclist and shaves his legs, maybe they don’t like my hairy legs!

Jeff

26km trail run, no poles. 402 mtrs vert, 2hrs 48. Was meant to be only 20/21km but I got lost. :blush:

5 Likes

Nice steady week, about 2 hours core and strength, 1/2 hour on Wattbike, a 40 min off road run testing twisted ankle (from 1/9 Helvellyn), then a 1 hour 5 min off road run yesterday testing ankle even further. Ran up to part of the Clyde windfarm about 1800 feet.
All going ok with ankle until yesterday eve when my stupid dog decided to run into my foot as I was running thru the garden, and may well have knocked me back a few weeks grrrrrrrrr. One for a rant maybe…

5 Likes

Bloody dogs :wink::speak_no_evil:

I had a nice relaxed week, with a few “lie ins” along with a few nights out and some decent food.

A few short runs and rides, along with a solitary swim.

Put the summer bike away today (for the second time!) and prepped the winter bike.
Sorted out all of the autumn and winter kit, with the light summer kit and race gear going away.
Just got the TT bike to put training wheels back on…and maybe even some clip-on mudguards :rofl::scream: Loads of time to adapt to that position over winter.

Also put an order in for some new swim toys and rejoined the pool over the road…roll on Monday!

5 Likes

Good week of training for me so far! I’m focusing mainly on running at the moment over the winter, as I’ve entered my first long-distance (Challenge Roth) in 2020.
I’ve never done a marathon, so my plan is to get a sub-75 half in the bank before VLM Championship entries close. That way I will be able to do VLM in the build up to Roth next summer. Foolproof right?

This weeks training has been great so far, with 3 quality sessions hit:
Tuesday Track - 10x600m (1min rest), followed by a “magic mile” - 4:48
Thursday - 3 x 20 minutes at target HM pace - 5:40/mile
Saturday - 5k TT effort (15:47ish)

Consistency does work after all!

3 Likes

I’ll see you in Roth.

I am on a 2 week train down, before getting training again. Feels like I have put on 5kg i. 10 days.

Need to put together a training plan, which involves a lot more swimming

Wish I was fast enough to say something like that and make it sound so simple!

Conversely, I shy away from marathons in seasons when I’m going long. I find the running very different and would rather spend extra time on the bike

1 Like

That’s looking like an awesome season Sam. Hope it all spots into place for you mate!

Bloody great run yesterday!
Interesting pacing strategy, come over to the sub-17 thread and give us slow folks some tips.

What half are you targeting for the Championship entry?

2 Likes

A couple of days off with a cold so been taking it easy. Managed to get a long run in yesterday and catch up on a swim session with a 90 minute wattbike afterwards. Should be back on it tomorrow and working towards the Royal Parks half marathon in two weeks.

1 Like

Put two new sockets in the garage and measured up the kitchen window for a new blind, does that count? :confused:

1 Like

I hope you’re getting those sockets signed off :wink::rofl:

I put up new ceiling light fixtures in the kids room. Look great!

This was week 2 of my detraining post Wales. Down to 66kg (race weight is 67-68kg) due to illness last week, so this week I ate a fair bit and only trained lightly. 1 run, 2 gym sessions, 1 bike ride on Saturday, and then my first ever class at a CrossFit gym today. It was brutal. It is basically as hard as you choose to make it, and I made it hard. Did a 20 minute cool down run after for maybe a 4.5 hour total week.

1 Like

Moved everything from upstairs to downstairs on Friday evening.
Carpet fitters in on Saturday morning.
Since yesterday put up an Ikea wardrobe and 2 sets of big drawers and moved everything back upstairs.
Did an 11 mile run before and the rain was biblical for about 3 of those miles.
Feel absolutly knackered now.

5 Likes

For me it’s a real toss up as what I want to do! I know that the training for the marathon will hinder my bike training slightly, but also know that I need the mental boost of having done a marathon before the big day in Roth.

And a sub-75 is definitely not simple! You can ask gingerbongo about my sub-75 woes… PB of 75:00 which wasn’t enough to get me a spot last time around

2 Likes

No need, not a new circuit. Did make about 10 calls to my sparky BIL though :grin:

1 Like