TrainingPeaks noob

So >10% faster, then?

For someone who weighed ~90kg and had literally done sweetFA for a year :joy::joy::joy:

(Twas a great day out, that, really enjoyed it)

You wanna sort that decline out for Wales :ok_hand:t4::rofl:
You doing the ā€œtraditionalā€ July/August taper into it?
Gonna be FRESH

1 Like

on 50% less legs. :rofl:

Yeah, thatā€™s going to be my biggest problem going into Wales. How on earth iā€™m going to slow the decline in the summer. I donā€™t think iā€™m going to be able to get there in peak shape, but hopefully decent enough shape to give it a good go.

Iā€™m actually concerned that itā€™s a whole year away, and is the only thing i have to focus on. So iā€™ll either burn out/get bored or iā€™ll just roll with no structure until itā€™s too late.

Been thinking about this a lot. But itā€™s unlikely iā€™m going to be able to get to any more races next year unless theyā€™re super local. Will have to come up with some sort of way to break the year into blocks with some sort of focus to keep me interested.

2 Likes

Exactly that.
100% agreed with you on that.

Super easy for me :heart_eyes:

Wilmslow Half Marathon is 1km from my front door. And in March. Excellent timing.

Southport Sprint Tri.
21st May (6 weeks before IMUK)
Weā€™ll probably be there anyhow.
Bagged it off this year, as it was 0Ā° when I woke up :cold_face: I came 2nd overall the last time I did it.
But itā€™s a World Champs Qualifier in 2023, so Iā€™ll be lucky to hit Top 50 :crazy_face:
Might do the standard instead, probably get a podium, as most people will be aiming to Q on the sprint :heart_eyes::+1:t3:

Canā€™t find any middle distance races in May Iā€™d like to do

3 Likes

I find it hard to fit in races during the year due to family and stuff. Iā€™ve got that audaxy thing in May if i want to take that. A good few mates are doing it, but itā€™ll mean a couple of days away from the family. It was only cheap, so can just make a last minute call on that one, see how busy we are and what state of mind Mrs GB is in. Her job is really stressful at the mo, so the last thing i want to do is then dump the kids on her for a weekend on her own.

A spring half may be a better option for me though. Thatā€™s a good point. Less pressure than a full mara. And i wouldnā€™t be looking to PB, just get into <80 shape or something.

One other idea i have brewing at the back of my mind would be to do a DIY 50km at target IM pace. That would be a good tester of how realistic that pace is. Ego says do a flat one and put a decent time in. But i guess it would make more sense to replicate the IM, so 125m or so elevation every 10km. Iā€™ve got a similarish lap to Wales that i could use.

1 Like

Why not see if there are any mid-week audaxes near you? I find it can be easier to do long rides during the week if it is a normal work and school day.

1 Like

Eh??
Thatā€™s like a 90 minute ride :rofl::rofl:
Or did you mean a 50TT?

1 Like

I wondered if he meant 50km run :exploding_head:

2 Likes

Haha.

A run i meant.

1 Like

Why?
Why even??
Just why???

Itā€™s a pretty damaging thing to be doing in the lead up to an IM, IMO.

Maybe one in Feb/Mar would be okay, though?

Iā€™ll be sticking to 25-30km runs as my ā€œlongā€ ones again :+1:t3::ok_hand:t4:
Seemed to do me well for my IMUK/Outlaw build.

It really is all about the bike (and swimming an hour comfortably)

1. Motivation - itā€™s something a bit different. I get bored by just following ā€˜the planā€™ so i need to mix it up.
  2. Ego - itā€™s the kind of confidence booster (if it goes well) that will help me in my training and racing. In case itā€™s not been obvious in my years on this forum (:see_no_evil: ) iā€™m NOT A SANDBAGGER, iā€™m a confidence athlete! :rofl: I need these lifts that tell me iā€™m good enough or on the right path.
  3. Curiosity - I have always wondered how quick i could run a road 50km; though i wouldnā€™t try to go too quick/hard unless it was more than 3 months out.
  4. Past experience - tells me that i could run a steady 50km without it being majorly damaging. Having been through the mill with all the ultra stuff, a 50 is seriously something i would do with <6 hours notice if a friend rang me up and asked if i was keen. It holds absolutely no fear for me. Ok a road 50 will be more taxing on my legs than a trail one. And i wouldnā€™t do it any later than July. But iā€™d be more than happy to do it in May or June with no concerns. Running at IM pace would only be like 4.45-5.00/km pace hopefully. Thatā€™s all day pace for me when iā€™m fit ā€¦ he says.
5 Likes

Itā€™s way too far out to have a plan for IM Wales now. Why not break things up into, say a swim focus, then cycling, then your DIY 50km run. I am sort of dong that now. Just trying to get my swim a lot faster than it has been, especially over the last couple of years. I have a target and plan for swimming but just running and cycling to feel and using consistency to improve there. I donā€™t need to train for triathlon swim fitness now, that can wait to the early Spring. Maybe work on upping your CP/|FTP on the bike? You can then start your IM training plan when you feel you need to but without feeling stale from working for it from now.

Just an idea.

1 Like

What he saidā€¦