Tri coach, tri club or self coaching

i think that it neither makes them more or less able…but to be an effective coach, you need to remove yourself from as much of your biography as you can…

1 Like

Obviously it doesn’t make him a coach but understanding those subjects to a reasonable level doesn’t hurt. Just replying to GB saying Vicki H had that BSc.

If the course was the same as when I did it, you do coaching badges too. Me and a couple of guys had our FA Prelim, which was then accepted as UEFA A (iirc) so we did UEFA B. I did some level 1 courses to in rugby (both codes) and cricket but they were very easy. No idea which badges Ali would have done or if any were still part of it.

Absolutely, that wasn’t in doubt…

but, as a generalisation again, the coaching aspect of sport science degrees is assessed in context with the coaching level and experience…

1 Like

I used to coach a young girl who studied at Leeds and trained with them. She said that she was the only triathlete not doing sports science :rofl: on my level 3 a guy, fast tracked, said he was working on a project to help triathletes with gaining apprenticeships or other skills outside of the usual; do sports science, become a coach options.

I could chat all day about the fast tracking, spoken to eJC at length on it, especially after the vlog they made that he mentioned above where the performance centres were appointing head coaches in their early 20s who hadn’t even coached. There are probably 100 better options out there, not even given a chance. Saying that I know what is paid annually to a lead coach at one centre and its not even close to a living salary, I earnt similar part time at Sainsbury 30 years ago whilst at college!

1 Like

but that’s general throughout the “fitness” industry - salaries are so piss poor compared to many other business areas that you could argue it’s almost exploitation. but I guess a lot of people do this for the love of sport rather than financial reward

2 Likes

We are talking 5k pa at one of the centres! Doesn’t even pay your way through uni!

many many years ago not long after we set up our recruitment business we employed a girl part time who was doing a PhD in Sport Science and also worked part time as a fitness instructor. with her insight into the fitness industry she suggested we go into recruiting for that business sector - instructors, gym managers, equipment sales reps etc - so we set up a separate joint business which she ran. ultimately we closed it down (sold it off for a small sum actually) as the financial return on 15% of a small annual salary just wasn’t worth it and getting clients to pay was a right PITA

3 Likes

One of the UK Tri centre head coaches used to be part of the elite squad up here but when it became clear he wouldn’t be competing at top level he set up a coaching business up here. He was still training with the squad, at least I saw him at swim sessions. It wasn’t log after he’d been coaching that he became head coach at the centre his girl friend moved to. She is a very good triathlete! I was surprised when I heard he was appointed aas it was clear he wasn’t experienced. But maybe if you’re paying a poor salary that’s what you get?

A lot of the Leeds triathletes are either at the Leeds Uni or Beckett, the Beckett courses didn’t exist when I went to Leeds Uni and quite different. It’s a shame as back then the progression from the course had to be a PhD if you wanted an Ex. Phys. type job. It’s a much better landscape now.

ETA: no idea if or what he studied at uni :rofl:

2 Likes

During my 7 year triathlon journey I’ve had a coach twice. It was OK, but didn’t feel that I got much benefit. I’ve been pretty successful self coaching, 2021 I would say that I made a huge step up in performance, I think due to Zwift racing and Ultra Running

I know for sure that I need a swim coach, however, for cycling and running, I recon I am good. I think I have a bit of improvement to make on my runs, on the bike, I have probably hit my peak. I am really confident in my nutrition, both in terms of daily diet and on race day. The only black hole I see is S&C

I will be getting some face to face swim coaching, but I have a question for experienced coaches like @Hammerer and @explorerJC, could the right coach help me to get to a new level? I will be 50 next year, so have the opportunity to get onto the podium… maybe in my dreams a top 10 in Kona

5 Likes

It depends but a knowledgeable coach, who you get along with will help no doubt but for planning it does take time to learn the athlete, build that rapport and for an experienced athlete this can take time. Things don’t always work first time (unless you were a novice then just regular training works) but a good coach can amend and change things up and is not afraid to admit something isn’t working, regardless of their theories. Swim wise though I seem to get better results with small groups over individuals. Yes that 1to1 interaction gives great opportunity for feedback and adjustments and is also useful as part of a full programme, but you will need others to push you at times. Nothing like beasting yourself in a swim squad with faster swimmers to get faster.

5 Likes

For the first time in 5 years I’m getting coached next year.

I had a coach but it was clearly a cut and paste session job, not much deep analysis of me as an athlete and bespoke sessions.

I ditched it and self coached, mainly based around TrainerRoad plans but adapted. I’ve done ok on this.

But last year it all got very messy, I was shoe horning in Zwift races, IRL TT’s as well as training sessions. After getting in decent shape over Winter juggling all this stuff through the season meant my fitness gradually declined. Lack of rest, too much hard stuff, using racing as training etc - balancing all this off was a bit beyond my self coaching capability.

Coach knows me well as an athlete so should be a small learning curve, we’ll be looking to cut down the peripherals to focus on peaking for target events:

2022 (ageing up to M55-59 so should be podium challenging) - Outlaw Half, 70.3 Staffs, full Outlaw, 70.3 Worlds (not podium here but maybe top 30 in AG)

2023 IM Lanza, Kona.

Going through prep and planning now, base build to start 24 Oct.

6 Likes

The swim coach is also the same coach as we have in the triathlon swim squad. This year the swim squad is very small and very fast, 2 lanes 6 in each lane, no slow lane, the slowest swimmers are all sub 1:35 CSS, so no where for me to hide: I have made more gains in 3 weeks than in the past 12 months

4 Likes

On a slight tangent, has anyone had experience of sports psychologist? I’ve found over the last couple of IMs that my brain starts screwing around on the bike leg, even though I’ve completed enough to know I can get round, very annoying really

1 Like

I know a guy through my club, who has worked with Elite athletes. He really helped a couple of the juniors with pressures of exams, and balancing with super series racing / academy trials etc. It can have its place but I always look at value for AG’ers who are essentially doing this for fun as a hobby.

2 Likes

That’ll do it. Get in there with some faster folks and hang on. When I’ve coached adult swim squads a very small % of it was technique work, the majority was gradually picking up the distance and speed across the weeks & months

1 Like

I can keep a nice form and hold it all together for 200m swimming 1:32/100m then it all falls to shit and I am swimming 2:00/100m, for me its almost binary. It not that I feel really tired after 200m, its just little things start to slip and its like a cascade. I am hoping that I can stretch the 200m to 400m then 1000m and then it just becomes normal

For those 200m I feel like I am flowing through the water and everything is in harmony, when it falls apart its like nothing is working together, and ironically it feels more tiring, even though its slower

5 Likes

Not sure but avoid the one Anna uses :+1:

3 Likes

Forgot about this thread.

I’ve been spending some time recently thinking about coaching. I don’t have very clear sporting goals and have flitted between some recently but not really focusing. I know someone from my club who coaches another club member with success and given she’s both local and reasonable, which is tempting.

The other local option is Rav Dighe, a former TriTalk member and also member of my Tri club. Not sure on pricing but it’s a bigger setup

I/we employed a psychologist when i was working with a particular elite athlete. It wasn’t cheap but it resolved a problem…

Edited…

1 Like

It certainly can help, but i am always cautious of making ‘promises’ until i have understood the athlete, what they have been doing, what their objectives are and what the limitations are. This is all about developing a relationship and, as hammerer said, this takes a little time…

The right coach can always improve the right athlete…

1 Like