Tubeless blown off the rim

Really weird thing for me today.

I’m new to tubeless but got them on ok and have done probably 100k on them (Conti 5000 TL).

For various reasons then bike was then left for a few weeks and I just took it out today to check it over. Pumped up the tyres to 90psi (stated max on both tyre and rim is 108psi). Rode down the road and back, a few hundred meters. Popped in it the garage to fit a saddle bag and while it was simply standing there - BOOM! - the whole rear tyre popped off.

WTF?

Should have bought tubs

Sounds like clubmates who ride tubeless.
I’ve only seen pain with these tires.

My LBS are not convinced by Road tubeless. 90psi sounds like a lot for a TL tyre; you can run a 25mm normal clincher lower than that and 28mm way lower.

Tubeless may well be the future but I think the technology is still not fully mature (not dissimilar to the disc/rim brake debate)
Whilst great in the theory there are still practicalities to be resolved. Fixing anything the sealant can’t deal with is still a bit hit & miss. Fit a tube but you still have the difficulty of getting the tyre on the rim. Don’t fit a tube, how do you get enough air in quickly enough to seal the bead.
We may all end up on disc braked tubeless bike at some point but at the moment I’m in no rush to change as I still think you could end up with an obsolete set up if a new standard arrives. So I may as well stick with the obsolete set up I already have.

1 Like

BB30 though, you’re all over that yeah? :rofl:

:expressionless:

BSA threaded all the way.:grin:

2 Likes

I don’t really get the benefits of tubeless for road. Main advantage of tubeless IMHO is the ability to run at low pressures without getting pinch flats. So great for MTB and gravel, but think I’ll stick with clinchers and tubes for road

2 Likes

Quick one guys.

Tubs or Clinchers?

2 Likes

We know the answer is surely both

Why choose😋

2 Likes

Ha ha ha - awesome!
The Crr of them is amazing(ly high)

But that’s a good find

From the 2019 Tour of California

1 Like

Because a flat (or blowout) on a Tubular is not as ‘catastrophic’ as a clincher; you can still roll on it :ok_hand:

And they feel quality!

Also, it’s a shame that the usual websites don’t really do Crr testing on tubulars anymore. I know they are becoming rare and are niche, but when you see how well the Corsa Speed does, you have to wonder how well all the premium/boutique tubs out there are going to fare - I’m sure they’d be up there with the better clinchers. But very few people care now, hence their absence.

I’ve been looking at Veloflex and FMB tubs recently.

Dunno Jorgan, Hunt wheels recommend 88-93 for my 78kg on a 25mm - https://www.huntbikewheels.com/pages/recommended-tyre-pressures

Fits with what I thought I should run them at, and is still 10-15 below what I’d run clinchers at.

I’m mostly curious why the hell they would blow off the rim under those circumstances. I’ve done mileage on them with no problems, but I guess the letting them deflate and then pumping them back up again has unseated the rim?

Btw, so far a standard floor pump has been plenty to get the bead to grip - no need for a cannister and all that jazz. Apart from blowing off the rim :bomb: I have only had good stuff from them. Near puncture proof and comfy to roll on.

I would check the accuracy of your pump. I bought a digital pressure gauge, and unless that is wrong, my old SKS floor pump gauge is over-reading significantly. Although your issue would need to be the reverse.

My training wheels are 25mm GP4000RS on 17mm (internal) H Plus Son Archetype rims, butyl tubes. I run those at ~70psi and I’m 73-4 kg. I could go lower.

I

Having no background in mountain biking, I’m naturally suspicious of the idea of tubeless road tyres and I’m in no hurry to try them out, despite being offered them by a sponsor. Most of the people that I know who’ve tried them rave about them, but I also know a few people who’ve punctured with a hole that was too big for the sealant to fix and they’ve ended up coating their bikes, themselves and anyone following them with liquid latex :smiley:.

We had Edco as our wheel sponsor a few years ago and their wheels were tubeless-ready. Our tyre sponsor at the time didn’t produce a tubeless tyre, so we just used them with regular clinchers. They were the tightest-fitting tyre/wheel combo that I’ve ever experienced and almost impossible to fix a puncture on the roadside. To make things worse, you had to pump them up to over 120psi to seat the tyre and then let out the excess pressure. The tyre made a distinctive “ping” sound when it seated. Once seated, it was as if the tyre had been glued to the rim and it was a real mission just to separate the tyre from the rim to replace the tube, even with the tyre fully deflated.

1 Like