Unemployment- what wouldn't you do?

Loading used/returned mixer bottles at the pre-wash at Schweppes, pallet load of crates dropped off by forklift, load crate to line and repeat, remove tops off those out-of-date, headphones in and happy days

1 Like

And people say I am doom and gloom, look at you… :slight_smile:

Benefits of decent liveable universal minimum income…

1. Fear is taken out of society. More secure society.
  2. Total national entrepreneurship (eg submarine locating) and capacity (from mums through to unpaid carers) caputured.
  3. Bullying eradicated at work, as people would not stand for it. Happier workplaces. More people then want to work (eg think retired nurse who recently said she would rather have a rusty nail stuck up her @#£& than return to the bullying of the nhs). Happier workforce.

People who are not in paid employment contribute a lot to society. Not everyone can or is willing to I give you, but most I have met first hand do.

If you have an amount of savings, consider shelling out approx £1200-2000 for some qualifications with certification that marry with your long work experience and a tiny bit of confidence during the application/interview process pretty much guarantee a half-decent job (£45K+) within 6-months - e.g. Lead ISO Auditor, NEBOSH certificate (H&S), IT security management, risk-management qualification etc. These can often be done online or combination of online and short exams at a CBT test centre.

1 Like

you have evidence for this or is it just conjecture?

Haha, I worked on the deli counter for a while too. I prided myself on the ability to cut the exact amount the customer asked for without adding/removing slices.
The worst job in the supermarket was pricing the frozen chickens, they were covered in frost so each one had to be polished to get the label to stick and it still usually took a few attempts. They gave that job to annoying vegetarian lad who liked to point out you were eating a chicken’s period when you had an egg, so there was some justice.

2 Likes
  1. Based on first hand experience and what I have observed second hand, and what I read from charities etc.

2. First hand experience and from my economics degree and the Economist ( I think)

3. Conjecture, but I think reasonable conjecture.

1. Read Solzhenitsyn

2. I can’t see any mechanism that providing a universal minimum income will ensure all entrepreneurship will be captured.

3. Bullying exists in all areas of society irrespective of income.

1 Like

Wish me luck, tomorrow is JSA application day. Got all my docs scanned ready…

I’m going in… :cold_sweat:

12 Likes

Goos luck!

2 Likes

GOOD LUCK!!!

Good duck!

Good luck FP :+1:

to quote a famous Dr. “I may be some time”. :laughing:

Best of luck @FatPom

Holy shit, that was quick, I’m all done in 12 mins! Just got a txt saying they will contact me for further info and ID, I suspect that’s where the huge wait will be. But at least my application is in the system :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Good stuff, hopefully part relief as well at least knowing you’ve done your initial bit.

FatPom, best of luck. I am aware that there are huge problems with UC, but I don’t know about JSA. You might find it quicker than you expect if you are thinking of the news on UC. Am I correct in thinking you get JSA for 6 months nowadays then you have to transfer to UC? (Assuming you haven’t found sufficient work).

Sloggers, I’m not really sure what’s happening. Mrs FP showed me some news stories about people waiting 3 days to get on the app and I didn’t think much of it.

What really grabbed my attention was a thread on the UK Timetrialling forum, where folks were trying to access the DVLA site and needed to set up their ‘digital-identity’, which I originally thought was for MOT extensions. Then that morphed into posts from self employed folks trying to do the same for UC.

The sticking point, once they’ve accessed, seems to be a stage where you have to have your identity verified. I’m already in the system for JSA from when I claimed in 2017 and I have a digital passport and DL. (but I imagine most folks do).

So I’m not sure if it’s a JSA vs UC thing or not. I have scanned my P45, DL, marriage cert and council tax bill, as that’s what the list said but haven’t been asked. Just had a txt and email sating they will contact me if the they need more info as they are experiencing high number of applications etc.

JSA goes for 6mths and then you have to talk to them about your 'options; which will inevitably come around to how much savings you have. That will be tricky, as I wouldn’t really want to slam a lump sum into my mortgage but on the other hand, I’m done with doing the right right just to subsidise others taking the piss.

If the job situation is that dire after 6mths, we’d up sticks and return to Oz, once they lift their travel ban.

2 Likes

Best of luck with all of this FatPom. And also to everyone else here going through similar.

My son has just been furloughed and my daughters fixed term contract is ending soon, so I do understand what you are going through.

You will get a job I hope. The world should return to a (perhaps altered) normal state pretty soon in the grand scheme of things.

2 Likes