Vendee Globe

Top 3 now starting to gap the others; long way yet though.

Foils are making big inroads into windsurfing and kiteboard racing too. You never want to get hit by a board when you are in the water, or hit something if you are on the board, but foils have taken it to a whole different level of consequences.

2 Likes

Alex appears to have broken his boat a bit

TEAM UPDATE:

Ross Daniel, Technical Director at Alex Thomson Racing:

“Yesterday evening (Saturday 21st November), while Alex was carrying out a routine inspection onboard HUGO BOSS, he spotted what he believed to be some structural damage in the bow area of the boat. He immediately notified myself and the team on shore, and we provided clear instructions to allow him to carry out a full inspection of the damage.

“That inspection has revealed some structural damage to a longitudinal beam at the front of the boat. The damage appears to be isolated to that area alone. It is yet unclear what caused this damage. There have been no incidents of concern onboard the boat during the race so far.

“Together with our structural engineers and naval architects, we worked through the night to put together a full repair plan for Alex. During this time, Alex took some rest onboard in order to prepare to begin that repair work this morning.

“Alex has now put the boat into a safe position to manage the sea state in order to reduce movement onboard while he carries out the repair. He has all the necessary materials onboard, a detailed plan to follow, and a team of world class engineers advising him. We are therefore confident in his ability to complete the repair.

“Our objective is to carry out the necessary repair swiftly and effectively, in order to minimize the miles lost and resume racing again.

“A further update will follow from the team in due course”.

3 Likes

Repair progressing yesterday evening

1 Like

Thomson is back racing and might not have lost too much ground as the two boats ahead have hit a high pressure system. One of them has also damaged a foil
All the boats in the front half are much closer together too

We have a boat sinking right now 
 one of the leading ones.
Looks like he is being rescued by another competitor

I see it’s Jean Le Cam who has rescued him “under motor”. Obviously welfare is the priority but how do they then sort out who is where in positions and the use of the motor?

Alex Thomson has retired I see. Broken rudder two days ago.

What does Kevin Escoffier do once rescued, just kick back on Le Cam’s boat and drink brews for next 2 months? “Sorry mon Ami, I’m not allowed to assist you” :rofl:

1 Like

Last time it happened it was a lot further into the race and the rescued guy just sat around his new boat to the finish.

I didn’t realise Thomson had retired - I saw he’d damaged his rudder on Friday but didn’t check in over the weekend. He looked to be sailing in the right direction at tea-time but I guess South Africa is the best place to get to to moor up. He really doesn’t get any luck in this event.

1 Like

So, it was 2009 when the previous rescue happened and, in a neat circular manner, the person who was rescued then is the one doing the rescuing this time.

1 Like

The emotion seeping out in the videos after the rescue are very telling.

1 Like

I used to helm a Sigma 38, often racing from Plymouth to Guernsey or Isles of Scilly. Coming back from Scilly with big westerly, in the dark, normally with too big kite was a massive adrenalin rush.

But my favourite experience was Weymouth Speed week 1994 ish. A guy I knew, known as Windy, asked me to crew on his white Formula 500 cat
 sailing on a broad reach, on a trapeze, at over 30kts in around 45cm deep water, thinking that we were about to pitch pole is still the scariest moment of my life

2 Likes

The Sigma 38 was a superb boat
 they were great value for money a few years ago. Real sturdy and capable vessels, that could handle a good breeze.

Was one of my favourite trips from Plymouth over to StPP
 just needed to get the timing right or the last few nm’s were a bit of a slog once you were round Casquets or into the Russells.

Article in The Times this morning about the rescue. Dramatised for media effect but a salient point about the nearly 11 hours Le Cam was in the area of the life raft but they kept losing each in the waves and then it was pure luck that Escoffier could actually board Le Cam’s yacht. Something you don’t think about.

1 Like

Cape Town seems to be the involuntary stop of choice for a few. Crazy how many unidentified floating objects are out there.

It’s going to be an drag race to the finish. Seems to be 5 boats with a real chance with a few more with an outside chance.

1 Like

Thanks for that. Awesome.

Makes me realise how much I miss sailing and windsurfing, but the holidays I used to go on are so utterly unaffordable for a family of 5. Or for a shit triathlete who has spent the family silver on a tri bike to go 2 seconds faster per mile.:sleepy:

One day, though. One day.:grin:

1 Like

I’m sorry to say I’ve lost touch since both the boats I was following dropped out.

It does look like an exciting finish coming up :slight_smile:

Definitely going to be a tight run to the finish. Bonkers after all that sailing.

Still can’t predict the winner, and it will be all over within 24 hrs for the leaders.