Walnut of the year 2023

*** Scunthorpe Walnut of the year awards ***

It’s been a busy year - plenty of celebrities and public figures jostling for the top spot.

A quiet year admittedly for Kim Jong-un, President Putin has dropped a few places after a barn storming performance in 2022… Amber Heard, Duchess of Sussex, Will Smith and Joe Skipper’s Endless Pool all eying the top spot with remarkable performances… Elon Musk, Donald Trump, Bill Cosby, Matt Hancock… Suella Braverman, Jake Paul, Mark Zuckerberg, Prince Harry gave a good account of themselves… Robbie Williams, Machine Gun Kelly, James Cordon, Jared Leto… late entries

And many more… Who takes your top spot for biggest walnut of 2023

6 Likes

Members of this forum presumably excluded on the grounds of peace love and harmony?

Will go with Elon Musk the massive own goals he has scored resulting in destroying 90% of the value of Twitter/X

Still suppose he’s not that bothered as still there or thereabouts as the worlds richest man

5 Likes

I’d say there were quite a few walnuts in the club we ended up in last night; and the young women just looked fake. Felt more Essex than Bath.

6 Likes

I think I may qualify from the Tritalk community getting DQ’ed on TCR
We should also conside the entire board of OpenAI

However, I do think that overall Elon should take the win

5 Likes

Yeah, Elon is setting the bar pretty high and inspiring countless others!

4 Likes

Tommy Bridewell

1 Like

Should there be some sort of ratio applied here though.

Elon started the year with a big platform (public eye etc) and a big ability to absorb monumental cock ups (deep pockets etc) . Whereas someone less public or wealthy may have a higher Walnut to means ratio.

So it’s a little like walnut relativity.

6 Likes

I’d have to say Matt Hancock - not necessarily the most evil but possibly the most irritating.

More revelations emerged about the man ‘what fixed the pandemic didn’t he’ during the covid enquiry - lying, pronouncements that he should make life and death decisions, cricketing metaphors, and a general reluctance to get off our TV screens in 2023

3 Likes

I think walnut is absolute :joy:

I stopped listening, watching and reading anythijg that can be labelled “news” around March/April, so have no idea who’s done what :person_shrugging:t3:

I read the FinTimes occasionally and watch HIGNFY. Judging by that, it’s a toss-up between Sam Bankman-Fried and Rishi Starmer :white_check_mark:

5 Likes

chuck a few more names in

Gullis
30p Lee
The Haunted Pencil

MadNads is a possible but she’s so dense she’s more comical than just being a walnut.

2 Likes

I think I’m like @poet here as I don’t know half these people that you guys are suggesting, or what they have done!

Got my own little bubble going on too! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Is a good call, but isn’t this a 2022 Walnut? From a relative perspective as well as an absolute perspective his walnt was massive

2 Likes

With the exception of the St Martin’s Place seige in 2014 and Sept 11 2001, I haven’t actively watched the news in 30 years.
Life is better that way.

1 Like

Yeah, she’s just taking over from that loonatic Iraqi comical Ali or whatever he was called :joy:

1 Like

… the last few suggestions I’ve no idea who they’re talking about as well

oooh Jacob Rees Mog lol - haunted pencil :pencil2:

30p Lee :rofl: he’s proud of that nickname too

4 Likes

Laurence Fox and Pip Schofield both made strong UK minor celeb showings.
Paul Pogba is looking good for a global award.

4 Likes

What does walnut mean?

Lozza! Forgot about him …

News thread lol