Weather: because we're mostly so British

Can you imagine our Dads talking like this :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

Going to be 35 degrees here today (@Jorgan and @funkster Frankfurt 37 degrees) :hot_face: airing the house now and then it will be windows closed and shutters down. Can keep the house quite cool doing this :+1:

6 Likes

It’s fucking pissing down and I have to walk the dog. Bollocks

6 Likes

Did you move from Sussex to Wales for the weather? :roll_eyes::rofl:

5 Likes

Bloody scorching today 36 degrees :hot_face:

1 Like

We have a nth/sth facing house, back garden and lounge room faces south. I swear it’s a lot cooler with the window, patio doors shut and the shutters closed, than it is with it all opened up.

I’ve also got a fan that would give a DC3 a run for its money. :grin:

1 Like

Well, yeah.
You open your windows on a morning/evening when it’s cool to let the cool air in.
Once the ambient temperature of the house has dropped, you then close all the windows and shutters to reflect the daytime heat out and keep the cool air in.

#ScienceFacts

3 Likes

Yup. Also when you had weather like on Friday that had temps rising not just from the sun, but warm air moving then closing the windows of the direction facing the prevailing wind prevents the warm air entering the house

2 Likes

A very slight breeze up here tonight, too.
To take off the humidity.
A lovely 20°.
Absolutely beautiful and perfect weather for the evening dog walk (plus beer :beers: )

3 Likes

Has anyone seen some of the catastrophes in the US? Yellowstone river has had so much water its widened itself massively and washed away houses, roads, sides of his. The northen part of the park is innacessible.

Down in Las Vegas Lake Mead is so low due yo mega drought that dead bodies that were dumped have started showing up along eith sunken boats. Its close to becoming a dead pool which will mean the hydroelectric plant in the hoover dam wont be able to operate.

4 Likes

Saw some Yellowstone pics posted on ST, looks horrendous.

I’d seen the vegas one and “laughed” at the literal dead pool :scream:

2 Likes

Apparently they’re getting that worried about the water shortages in California that they are reconsidering some huge projects for dams etc that they’d mothballed for years. Mainly due to the environmental impact

Some company had found a way to extract water to drink from evaporation I think but certainly enough for showers etc

Aren’t some states canning the fake greenery due to the water it wastes?

Donald is still in denial of course, along with the morons :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I think that’s called rain.

5 Likes

Haha, that’s plan A :joy:

2 Likes

Sydney always seems to be in a water crisis, despite have massive catchment areas for the dams but apparently it never seems to rain in them.

Should have built a holiday retreat there not a bloody dam. :smile:

Did you see the story last week about Australia having a power crisis? They’re still massively reliant on coal fired power stations and they’ve had issues with coal production so the premier of NSW has asked people to turn their power off for 2 hours every evening :flushed:

My colleagues in SA are always complaining about “load shedding”, where the power company shuts down sections of the grid because they can’t cope with the demand for power. It seems that Australia might be heading the same way🙄

2 Likes

Yeah been following it a bit. I’ve tried to say this before on here when folks moan about ‘leaves on the tracks’ and stuff. This is not unique to the UK.

Oz relies on power for loads of things, including the trains. The heat (which has ‘quite a lot’ of) is blamed for tracks being too soft to runt trains, leaves on track yada yada

But the biggest bugbear is power and water. Sydney lives on a knife edge for utilities (Oz in general) and it’s one of the reasons that urban sprawl is frowned up because the cost of supplying utilities is insane.

In summer (ie 8 mths of the year) the a/c is cranked everywhere, the trains run slower and then the sub stations can’t cope. the price of electricity is mental (in Oz terms) and few people cooked with gas.

Energy companies are fully taking the piss Here’s a quote from the Sydney Morning herald.

“Power generators are exploiting the chaotic energy market by withdrawing power supply from the electricity grid and waiting until strict rules to prevent blackouts kick in, forcing the energy market operator to direct them to fire their plants back up and triggering profitable compensation payments”

Water companies are the same. In the 5yr drought we were asked to save water, dob in a neighbour if we saw then using a hose to wash a car or their driveway. We did all that, then the water companies complained that they weren’t making any money because nobody was using water. Then the NSW Gov imposed an extra levy on residents to top up the water company’s coffers! I shit you not.

We once had a 12hr blackout on the Nth Shore area due to an errant possum not being able to read a ‘DO NOT TRESPASS’ sign at a major sub station.

The lucky country :rofl:

6 Likes

Meanwhile in France this monster of a thunderstorm is ripping it up.

Yup. Lots of warnings about. Concerns for all the grapes of course. And plenty advice to not park your car outside tonight. Those storms are pretty dramatic when they roll down the Loire.

2 Likes