What's on your Garmin?

Something like this - but probably way too small and needs customisation to get rid of what I dont want (ie calorie fields etc)

Its not helping that Connect IQ is linked to my old 520 and I cant seem to get it to just search for 530 apps :thinking:

yeah, that was the closest one i fell upon as well. Iā€™ll probably end up just leaving it and complaining that iā€™m not happy! haha

I also need to not want so many fieldsā€¦
why do I still want speed if Im going on power/hr?
why do I need to know what the frikkin time is?
Do I really need distanceā€¦ certainly dont for a 10TTā€¦ but then Iā€™ll still find myself doing maths on the way round using all these fields.
These first world problems are getting serious!

1 Like

I think thereā€™s a difference between training and race screens as well.

Thinking about it, i may create a couple of screens with tonnes of stuff for training/general riding. And then iā€™ll create a really slimmed down screen for racing. Like you say, if riding to power, other than being curious, the speed will be what the speed will be.

Race maybe:

3 sec power
Avg power
IF - maybe but if i know my power numbers and the range i need to be in, then shouldnā€™t need this
cadence
hr
avg hr - maybe.
distance
elapsed time

Thatā€™s already getting a bit busy!! :rofl:

1 Like

Definitely a difference between racing, training and commuting.

For commuting I want to know time of day. For training I want to know elapsed time / distance and the ability to hit laps. For racing do I want speed? Even if riding to power, speed is what matters at the end of the day, I find it a useful reference to consider am I holding a good position, should I accelerate over a rise or out of a bend.

1 Like

Ironically I think for training (well just getting out and riding) - I think elapsed time and distance can be a hindrance to me. Too busy watching them not move enough and can make rides feel a drag.
Yet if Iā€™m following navigation (arguably different/new roads so different mindset) and dont have all that info to hand - time goes much quicker. So Iā€™m gonna push those fields out to page 2 (for a trial period)

1 Like

is there an easy way to make changes on the 530 i.e. via connect on a PC, and then upload changes, or do you have to do it on the device itself? If the latter, which is what iā€™ve done so far, i find it time consuming and clunky. On my old polar watch you could do it from the website/app which was much easier.

ETA - nope. has to be done on the device, but you can create different ā€˜profilesā€™ it would appear. May look into that and make a training and racing profile.

The dashboard widgets can be configured in Garmin Connect and uploaded as a single field. If you go for a multi-field screen, I think you have to configure it on the device.

My old 820 comes with a Training, Racing and Indoor profile already loaded.

1 Like

Thereā€™s a connect iq field that will give you an estimated time based on current (and recent) ave speed for a distance you specify. So that would save you doing all the maths, and an incentive to work harder if that number starts creeping up?

2 Likes

Nice!
Tho if im not doing maths Iā€™ll be thinking how much Im hurting :laughing:

1 Like

Good for a measured 10TT or 25TT, a bit sketchy for most triathlons where the distances can be a little dubious - and I forget to press go until 3 mins after transition.

Yeah, I have only used for TTing.
This is the data field: https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/d793e7bd-c965-41d4-b5e0-da9a52714ee0

This is the dev page - they do quite a lot of basic, but very useful, data fields: Connect IQ Store | Free Watch Faces and Apps | Garmin

1 Like

@gingerbongo this may have potential (ignore the running data and fact its a watch)

1 Like

Thanks, I use the auto lap counter already. I really miss the ā€œlap by positionā€ on my old 910!

I have a training and racing page with an auto lap to go off every hour with average speed.

Quite easy doing it through the Wahoo app

2 Likes

The other feature I like about the Wahoo is the ability to zoom in and out on the fly, so you might rank 10 fields in order of importance and you can increase and decrease the number of them displayed

1 Like

Yeah I like that too. On my training page I have average speed and power but only have them visible if Iā€™m going for it :rofl:

Out of interest what does your NP give you?

Having not used power for very long, what would you actually use your NP as a barometer for vs. avg power / why have both?

Np gives you a clearer picture of what youā€™ve actually done. It emphasisā€™ the power surges and bigger efforts whereas actual power is exactly that. It counts freewheeling etcā€¦

I suppose I could replace the field with IF but I like seeing both of them together.

If youā€™re out for an easy spin, youā€™ll likely see two numbers very similar but if youā€™ve been hitting hills hard or been riding in a group where youā€™ve been hiding in the wheels etc youā€™ll see your NP read higher

2 Likes