When to switch training intensity

More shocking news :rofl:

1 Like

My generalised advice is more along the lines of train all systems all year, 12 weeks out focus on the target race pace a little more. Id keep most runs at long run pace but make the bricks more IM pace. Obviously everyone is different with various injury histories and different weaknesses though. Remember that the anaerobic system helps transport the carbohydrate to the muscles (its a bit more complex than that but its important even for Ironman) so you must keep this optimised also so keep up some very hard work say 60 seconds on off, russian ladders that sort of thing. If in doubt keep it steady. Most of us will be no where near maxing out our aerobic capacities so better steady than over fatigued or under recovered.

1 Like

I think Iā€™ve banged that drum to death. Bloody mamils at the top of the Dunning Kruger chart :wink:

2 Likes

Totally agree in using all intensities all year, to a lesser or greater extent. 12 weeks out from an IM I would add more specific work at the pace/intensity I intend on doing in the race.

When I was running with Ali and Jonny Brownlee they told me that they does the same :joy:

Alright Poindexter :wink:

big words (that I had to google) ā€¦ fighting talk eh

1 Like

What has the modal finishing time at London got to do with anything? Anyoneā€™s IM race pace is not that fast relative to their pure running ability.

Heā€™s another Poindexter :sweat_smile:

You mentioned ā€œpure runningā€ terms and that ā€œIM paceā€ isnā€™t really that fast.

I didnā€™t mention anything about ā€œIM pace,ā€ so I could ask you what ā€œIM paceā€ has to do with anything?

Yes, because being overtly bookish, nerdy, or geeky is laughable.
Grow up.

Whatā€™s the matter Bateman, no shiatsu this morning :wink:

But joking aside, humans are not machines or computers; so not everything can be ā€˜solvedā€™ with mathematics. To try and do so is not laughable, but a little dogmatic.

ETA - Look ay my avatar ffs. Years ago a friend told me I was basically Napoleon Dynamite; Iā€™d never heard of this guy and didnā€™t know what he was on about. Then about 2 years later it was on TV. I bought the DVD, then the special edition; I was obsessed with this film for months. Whoā€™s the nerd??

What is that reference? American isnā€™t it? I know itā€™s used to insult smart people, but I have no idea what itā€™s referencing.

fuck, all these years i actually thought that was you. Who is that guy I met in Austria then :wink:

2 Likes

Wasnā€™t it from some cartoon, where the brainy kid was called Poindexter?

No itā€™s not a way to insult smart people; itā€™s making light of nerdish behaviour.

So if for example, me or someone else whoā€™s not a maths/physics ninja makes a comment about something that is not completely correct, then an SME chips in with a long-winded ā€œI think youā€™ll findā€ type correction. Invariably the ā€˜Poindexterā€™ will be correct, but their object lesson may well add nothing, or completely miss the point. Hence the retort 'alright Poindexterā€™.

A lot of us have displayed Poindexter moments here at some point.

So you donā€™t know either :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I think the cartoon came afterwards

I think youā€™ll find that Poindexter came from the cartoon series Felix the Cat.

3 Likes

Origin

1950s: the name of a character in the animated television series Felix the Cat , noted for his intelligence and his use of scientific jargon.

1 Like

Iā€™d first heard the expression on TV maybe 30 years ago; at the time I thought it was in reference to Admiral John Poindexter for some reason, who was in congressional hearings over the Iran-Contra affair. When the Internet came about, I Googled itā€¦ and got the answer that people above did.