Which are worst: piranhas, crocs, or sharks?

My mate did it once, we were leaping off some rocks with our board to reach some surf. He didn’t really feel it straight away but by the time we paddled out the back he wasn’t feeling great and went to stand on a wave and fell straight over.
I had to tow him in, which was tricky because you exited the water there via the rocks as well. Virtually carried him to the car and we drove to hospital where they extracted it and injected him with ‘something’.

I was spewin as the waves were great that day! :smile:

5 Likes

I’ve dived with small sharks, they are creepy but fine. However:

You get crocodiles in the sea.

:scream:

3 Likes

Venomous bastards. It’s the attitude; no need to hide, no need to swim fast/get away, no need for camouflage just a ‘I’m fucking venomous and know it’ look that has everything else give it a swerve.

10 Likes

There you go fruity, that’s an actual great white heading towards him, nothing to worry about :grin:

(I’m sure if he survived :roll_eyes::joy:)

5 Likes

@jeffb trying to like that post, but hand instinctively recoils from the phone every time it gets near.

6 Likes

I used to train with a guy from Swaziland - he tried to get me to do a multi-stage multisport event over there.
The blurb on the event said that individual canoe cover was obligatory on the swims in case of crocodile attack.

Needless to say I found something else to enter :rofl:

9 Likes

“Yeah I’m alright thanks mate.”

4 Likes

Sounds like I think the MdS terms that state your insurance needs to be able to cover repatriation of your dead body.

5 Likes

I’m another who has stepped on a sea urchin - holidaying in Kenya at the time, was a bloody awful experience

4 Likes

I read that three times with a sense of growing despondancy. Is nowhere safe anymore?

Then realised you’d said “Swaziland” not 'Switzerland"

7 Likes

Hippo attack swimming in the lakes, or sleeping near a lake….

:hippopotamus:

:anguished:

“The hippo can then be seen chomping on his arm, shoulder, and torso…

6 Likes

LOL

From recollection, this wasn’t long after I’d done the SOS (Survival of the Shawanagunks). We also talked about doing some sort of extreme quadrathon in Scotland.

Luckily he then moved to Colorado as a ski coach - at the time he was the only person to represent Swaziland in the winter olympics, I think in the mens downhill.

I do occasionally get barked at by dogs now, but it’s not the same :wink:

5 Likes

Crocs

They ruin your feet…

Screen Shot 2023-03-04 at 12.47.00

11 Likes

Ive eaten sea urchin in Chile; “erizo”, that was also a bloody awful experience.

7 Likes

Saw this few days ago but the IM is in a heavenly crystal clear lake so nothing to fear there :blush:

But saying that, I’m aware if I want one last chance at another ironman in Aus (with 1000% better training environment) it’ll be Busso in December. Which was an iconic swim 1 lap round a pier, but they’ve had to change because there were too many shark sightings during races. I never swim further than 50m from shore, so the thought of going 1.9km out, and leading, would rattle me.

7 Likes

Someone sent me this, shot just up the road:

it’s an Instagram thingy

here’s a screenshot

For Sale, one pair of goggles, lightly used, £2.50

6 Likes

Using what?? Etch a sketch?

10 Likes

Is that a Transformer on the boat taking a piss? :smile:

3 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::foot::rofl::rofl::rofl:

wait, does that say Exxon Valdez?