Which are worst: piranhas, crocs, or sharks?

Of all the things that lurk beneath, which trouble you most?

I was thinking about this last night. There are about a million murderous critters in the open water, although maybe not all are trying to kill you as such.

Take stone fish, or box jellyfish. They just happen to be living their quiet, poisonous lives when you go and stand on them or rub up against them. No malice.

But piranhas, crocs and sharks: those guys want you for a meal.

So which is worst? (maybe you already know my view)

Well I reckon Piranhas don’t pose too much of a threat to triathletes. They deliver a nasty nip, but rarely eat humans outside of the dry season when food is scarce. Also, they are confined to rivers of the Amazon basin where few triathlons happen.

hab

Crocodilians though, are evil. Look at them sitting on the river bank with that beady eye. 2 billion years of evolution and they haven’t changed, oh no, if it ain’t broke you don’t fix it. They get around too:

However, they are not the very fastest swimmers. And they have the good grace to usually drown prey before chowing down. Pretty bad, but not the worst.

That award, in my view, goes to sharks.

One minute you are swimming with a carefree attitude 50 metres from the shore. The next there’s a splash and a chomp and a massive, terrifying fish is swimming off with your left arm, disarticulated at the shoulder.

They are sleek and fast and all over the place too, often in places where we like to do triathlons:

0862498887e404e17bdf261dd3a16ab3

Note how New Zealand is a particular feeding ground. It’s virtually a sharks’ dining hall. TBH I worry for people racing there this weekend. Although, at least they’ll have other people all around them, it’s not like anyone we know might be on their own out at the front waiting to be picked off like an aperitif. Oh wait…

14 Likes

They’re even dragging people from their cars now…

8 Likes

You need to add sea snakes - most of which are venomous - and some jellyfish like box to that list.

1 Like

Drop bears that can swim :wink:

I signed up for a scuba diving course in Oz once, then pulled out before it started (and the first payment) as I was so worried that knowing what’s really down there would affect my choices on paddling out into remote surf. Ignorance is bliss :smile:

I do remember watching film about surfing less well known locations around the world and Madagascar came up as somewhere with some epic waves but extremely risky on the shark front.

3 Likes

Sea snakes you say? :fearful:

2 Likes

Crocs all day long. Don’t forget they could also nab you in transition as well as during the swim….

3 Likes

Sharks are harmless.

It’s the snails you need to worry about

4 Likes

What about cows? For us in the UK probably the most dangerous animal we will encounter in a triathlon, perhaps after angry car driver

5 Likes

I think it’s about time you were getting employment :joy:

I’ve never seen a single shark, croc or piranha in the river Tees, but I am somewhat concerned by the rogue shopping trolleys and years of industrial waste :face_vomiting::joy:

7 Likes

Sad story but I will leave it here for you @jeffb. The seas just need to get a little bit warmer but……

2 Likes

I follow Ocean Ramsey on insta and she makes sharks look so peaceful. Crocodiles on the other hand are scary as …

https://www.instagram.com/oceanramsey/

3 Likes

The Kraken, I reckon.

On a serious note, I once stepped on a Sea Urchin. That was not fun.

6 Likes

I doubt most life forms would survive in the Tees for very long! And it’s too cold for most of them :cold_face:

Doubt I’d be swimming in Oz though :flushed:

3 Likes

I follow Ocearch, they tag great whites and you can track them.

They’re fairly harmless, on dry land :joy:

3 Likes

Most scared I’ve been was scuba in Florida, diving a wreck. I was just skimming along the side of it and this Moray eel came barreling out, the bastard had shoulders like Mike Tyson. It also had a about 3/4 snapped fishing lines dangling from its mouth and was scarred/battered. It just looked mean as fuck. I scarpered pretty sharpish.

Any sort of eel gives me the willies to be honest, but this was definitely the daddy of them all…

10 Likes

11 Likes

That’s why I am a duathlete

4 Likes

Maybe fruity should make the switch :joy:

4 Likes

Read this and thought of this thread. Natalie Pohl has just finished swimming across New Zealand’s Cook Strait. This a link to the only English article I could find, others were in German…

4 Likes

Same.

All the little spines got stuck right in and then it got infected, I was out of action for about 3 weeks.

wasn’t a shark though

7 Likes