Which beach

As of this morning, I am perusing rightmove and looking at the jobs market. Full well in the knowledge that I don’t have the courage sell up here and move.

2 Likes

That’s cool, and you do make compromises. Jobs, salary, house prices, tourism etc vs the nice spots and not being in a city.

I started in South Pembs, moved to North Pembs when i was 7. Went to Uni in Swansea, lived there for 4 years altogether. Went travelling, back to Pembs for a few months, lived in Weston Super Mare (!) for 3 months (still by the sea … but not nice), then moved down to where i am now in 2007 I think. A few house moves in that time (shared houses/rentals etc) and now settled in the next town over from where i started, that i much much prefer. Really settled here, and just cannot think of somewhere i’d rather live in the UK (even if i had the money) at this point in time. It just suits us.

3 Likes

We are you headed?

I thought the same, the 10 years I spent living in Sutton Coldfield, I missed the sea so much. However, now that I live in Switzerland, I still miss the sea, however, if/when I move away I know that I will miss mountains terribly. There are lots of really good points about Switzerland, but most I could live perfectly well without, but I do love mountains. It is unlikely that I will be able to retire here, if I am lucky I may get 10 more years.

4 Likes

West Wittering, near Chichester. Nice sandy beach, great fun when the tide goes out, epic place to fly a kite. When tide goes out you get large “pools” of water, my kids loved them when they were young. Also a really nice place for a walk. Not sure about getting there by train though

Kimmeridge bay, between Bournmouth and Weymouth. All the tourists go to Lulworth and Durdle Dore, however, Kimmeridge is far nicer. Epic windsurfing / Surfing spot in a NW wind, it works about 5 times a year, but when it is working it is one of the best spots in the UK.

Closer to Weymouth, another secret spot is Osmington Mills, brilliant quiet spot that locals know about. Smugglers inn has great pub food.

1 Like

Nowhere as nice as the pictures on this thread.

But somewhere on the Fylde coast :roller_coaster: :slight_smile:

My partner is from that area so she wants to move back there now with the WFH etc. and it is only just over an hour for me if I have to go into the office for the odd day.

I am really looking forward to running by the sea and it is about 17 miles from top to bottom so a solo ultra could be on the cards.

3 Likes

I’ve lived on the coast for a few years (Plymouth), but, like Mrs MC, have spent most of my life inland… ironic, as i’ve spent a LOT of time on the water either windsurfing or sailing… we’re very very clear that we’ll be moving within a few mins of the sea within the next few years at the latest.

Only question still to be answered is where… we’re torn between North Norfolk and its epic beaches yet affordability, or taking a big plunge and leaving the UK for somewhere warm…

4 Likes

The interior can be fine; as long as it’s somewhere like the Alps with the rivers & lakes. Closest to that here is the Highlands I guess.

1 Like

Yeah, agree, beautiful up there but I’d never survive as I don’t speak Scottish. Walked/ hobby jogged a stretch of the West Highland Way a few years ago, almost fell at the first hurdle trying to ask directions to Milngavie from Glasgow Airport. :grinning:

1 Like

I spend 4-5 days a week from Apr-Oct in MK wakeboarding (Box End is all-year round). 3-4 days per week indoor skiing and snowboarding. MTB at Woburn, Shenley/Oxley woods, the Brickhills, Savernake forest and many more. Multiple local free BMX tracks, MX tracks at Whaddon and Leighton Buzzard (plus a few not strictly legal locations). Road biking on quiet rolling roads in every direction - not quite mountainous but some pretty reasonable undulations. A long way from rock-climbing (70mins drive to Sheffield) but there are 2 good indoor and 1 outdoor centre in MK (and 2 high-ropes courses). Paddle-sports on lakes, canals and Northants and Bedford White-water centres. Every shop known to man is within 2 miles of me so don’t have to waste time planning to get something. Sure there may be some bad bits to MK, but there an awful lot of places with less to do. Kiteboarding at the coast would be nice but just have to save that for the holidays. What kind of woods or forest are you looking for - happy to show you a few routes if you want?

1 Like

I d like to live by the sea. My friends live in Bude, awesome!

My guilty pleasure is Southend. Like Rhyl only worse. I like the view of the runway from the Holiday Inn restaurant. It has an excellent crazy golf course.