Woman walks in front of cyclist - gets compensation

I think that’s just an excuse for using pictures of her in yoga poses in the reports :thinking:

1 Like

Presumably the pedestrian did not have insurance. Just the resources to mount a case.

I’m guessing no-win, no-fee, ambulance chasing lawyers :wink:

1 Like

Who have just made circa 100k

Although they didn’t technically win

Have I got it right that in countries like the Netherlands that there’s a hierarchy of culpability, whereby if a car is involved with a bike or pedestrian, they are presumed to be at fault and if a bike is in collision with a pedestrian, the rider is presumed culpable. I think that Chris Boardman has advocated for this type of legislation, putting the onus on the least vulnerable road users to help protect the most vulnerable.

I realise that in this particular case the judge found both parties to be at fault, but I wonder if that is where this could lead too?

Now knowing about the BTF insurance ‘rules’ on cycle training vs commuting, I cannot see any benefit in taking out BTF membership next year, for the sake of 3-4 race licences. I’d be better-off taking BC cover and paying £5 to race.

Fortunately my travel insurance has various cover like injury, public liability etc when I’m doing an Ironman abroad. Because you have to take out the ‘ultimate’ BTF cover to get that :roll_eyes:

A friend of mine mentioned Laka Insurance https://www.laka.co.uk/perks/thirdpartyliability

Seems difficult to understand but the gist I got was that there aren’t any premiums but at the end of the month they tally up all claims (add a %) and split between the members. More similar to the Lloyds of London original concept.

Unless you race abroad. Then a BTF license comes into its own.
Denmark would have been about £25 for a race license.
Nice later in the year would be €40.
Hamburg for you would have been €20.
etc

BC license gets you 10% off anything at Halfords & £10 at chain reaction,that makes it at least cost neutral to me & thus a no brainer. I assume the BC insurance is similar to BTF.

Their RIDE level covers commuting and leisure cycling (incl. sportives etc.) You would need one of their RACE level plans to cover any bike racing. BTF doesn’t cover commuting.

Yes, I got the BTF licence because I was doing Hamburg. Otherwise I wouldn’t have bothered.

Yet the pedestrian didn’t have insurance, and no-one is suggesting all pedestrians should be covered. For a hobby cyclist it makes sense to have some insurance, and for a regular commuter too. But are all our kids supposed to have cover? The occasional ride to the shop pensioner?
It reminds me of the helmet argument, where compulsion has been shown to reduce the amount of cycling, which is not to anyone’s benefit in the end - for both health and congestion.