2020 Goals

Yes, but we now have a weekend away with friends that weekend.

God friends or ā€˜rather be doing something elseā€™ friends? :wink:

1 Like

I contacted TS to verify, It was explained to me as my birthday is 31 Dec and as the AG cut off is 31 Dec 2020 that is the age that applies. As such a miss a year of racing as a 44 year old and enter the 45-49 AG in effect a year early.

Haha, Iā€™ve since found out the Texas 70.3 I entered got cancelled mid-race after a big storm came through! I think a lot had finished but because of the odd wave starts some were starting 70 minutes after the proā€™s ~8am and it got binned about 12:55, so theyā€™d need to be sub 5.

Pretty calm compared to a Sunday morning on the NY Moors :joy:

Jeff

4 Likes

At one point this morning it looked like my new goal for 2020 would be to be able to spin the turbo up to speed to calibrate the damned thing, managed it on the third attempt, my fitness is still on holiday

6 Likes

Not sure to put this here or the Ultra thread but here will do.

Iā€™m considering not doing Endure 24 in July. A few reasons, namely itā€™s a bloody long drive, the more we talked about logistics of getting Little One out of school for 2 days the harder it became. (Mrs FP wonā€™t drive back from Leeds, new places and driving freak her out).

All signs are that Iā€™d be going up on my own and effectively, itā€™s a three day away job for endless running in circles. I was excited about it but I donā€™t think I am any more. I think Iā€™d rather more 'point A to Point B type stuff.

I dunno, maybe the UTMB rejection has me in a mental funk but Iā€™m not feeling enthused TBH.

Right, had to get an event in the books, so Iā€™ve entered the Outlaw Half at Bowood House on 7th June. I took a pass on the elite wave :sweat_smile: Man, they have so many ā€˜upsaleā€™ partner & merch options you have to go through before you can hit the continue button!

10 Likes

Decided to bin Endure 24 and go for another 6 UTMB points. That will/should guarantee me an entry for 2022, if I donā€™t get drawn next year.

Thinking Iā€™ll go for RttStones again, as some unfinished business there.

Also adding the full length SDW on mtb with a mate. Doing it one go but no crazy pace, just enjoy it with pub/cafe stops. Penciled in for June 26th.

10 Likes

Bit the bullet and entered the GBUltra Scotland 100 along the Southern Upland Way through my old stomping grounds.

Have the Pilgrim Challenge (66miles over 2 days) and the Rose of The Shires (54miles) as warmups.

Will enter some SwimRun (almost certainly AKA Box End and Grafham races) and probably some others.

Itā€™s not about the bike :smiley:

7 Likes

RttS one of my fav events - how many UTMB points do you get for it these days?

1 Like

Doing Pilgrim as well. Also did it in 2017. Great little event!

3 these days. They dropped it from 4 when UTMB dropped the points requirement for CCC.

I enjoyed RttKing but would really like a 100km event under my belt. RttS is definitely more runable than King (or Tower so Iā€™m told) but it helps if you donā€™t fall over 18kms in and bugger yourself up. :wink:

See you there - this will be my fourth Pilgrimage, nice way to kick start the year!

Although itā€™s a bit of a trek for most of you, if you want 3 reasonably easy UTMB points the 65k race I did just outside Edinburgh in November is worth a go, assuming itā€™s not snowing.

There was about 18k on road\path and almost flat, one fairly long climb and a lot of it was on fire roads so pretty runnable. There was a bit alongside the river that was hard going because it was boggy but probably only about 3-4K.

Jeff

Sorry to see youā€™re pulling out of Endure 24. But yes, a support crew of some sort is highly preferable, as is a lift home! Why did you choose Leeds rather than Reading?

RttStones will be an excellent substitute, and rather less monotonous.

1. Fix the leak in the back of our house.
  2. Fix the leak in the front of our house.
  3. Never again buy a house built in the 1750s
  4. Half marathon PB (stands at 1h22 in 2007)
  5. Park run 17.xx
  6. Get some new trousers
5 Likes

Leeds was the only solo option. Reading seems to sell out two years in advance. Iā€™ve asked to defer to Reading next year but weā€™ll see.

The other thing about is for me, there is no actual goal. In a short race I can see where I can come and have a proper race. In an ultra itā€™s about getting to the finish and dealing with adversity.

But Endure 24 has neither of those things. I could try for 100 miles, but if Iā€™m off the pace at say 18hrs, then where is my motivation to keep going? I think if I was going to 100 miles, Iā€™ll do it in a point to point race.

Entered 4 triathlons this year after doing zero for the past 4 years, so with that in mindā€¦

• Swim again after zero for 4 years, and re-learn to enjoy it
  • Start cycling again, not just commuting but turboing and long weekend rides
  • Run less, but hopefully be faster at shorter distances later in the year
  • Lose a sh*t load of weight - heaviest I have been in my life as of this morning
  • Finish Ironman Connecticut 70.3, and Ironman Lake Placid both in ā€˜OKā€™ timesā€¦ they are both very hilly courses (both bike and run) so no exact time target, but somewhere near the front-ish end of MOP would be great
11 Likes

Reading certainly seems to sell out PDQ. When I did it (relay) it was good to watch the front runners - solo and pairs. Some phenomenal performances. But I am totally with you in terms of ā€˜goalā€™. And UTMB points.

Iā€™ll be doing SDW at some point too, though itā€™ll be a last minute job based on when the weather is favourable!

Also running a 6 man relay race East-West in June with the running club; weā€™ve done it a few times and finished in around 12 hours last time. Aiming for top 3 this year. Winners are normally around 10:30 !!!

We have a 4 UTMB point event on the Isle of Wight (basically a lap round the coastal path). Pretty chilled affair and not massive in terms of competitors but plenty of support if anyone here is based south coast.

2 Likes