2022 races

£35 :astonished:
Is that the norm (I’ve only ever done club hill climb).

I’d want someone pushing me up at that price.

2 Likes

It is for a national championship

Edit: the 100 I did was better value for money and misery :joy:

5 Likes

But …but why does that cost more to run??
Is it like when a venue becomes a wedding venue prices go up ten fold?

2 Likes

The easiest way on that course is start at the top and finish at the bottom

Your welcome :grinning:

8 Likes

I’ve no idea if it’s a lot or not, I’ve never done a TT :man_shrugging: . I sacked off my Warrington Way Ultra 40 to fund it which was much better value when measured in misery/mile

Seems ok to a triafleet :smiley: , but not to a fellrunner :triumph: … It is on a closed road & they’re using the - not very nearby - magnificent Llangollen Pavillion as the HQ, that may bump up expenses.

The easier Horseshoe climb takes place a few weeks before it & that is £12 but all you’ll get for that will be Doris running around & a fella with a clipboard.

4 Likes

Local sprint triathlon today, first actual triathlon since 2019.

Good field, think there were a number of carry over from the last few years.

It was good to be back out there, and a good reminder why I love this sport.

Swim was okay, plenty of biff at the start. After being swam over a couple of times I thought that I had had enough, and just went for it. The start slowed me down considerably. 850m - 15:19.

Bike started well, even though I got passed by a number of people in the first 10km (I was on my aluminium roadie).

But I sprung to life a couple of k from the end. A huge peloton went passed, of a good 10 riders. After a comment as they went passed, I thought that I’m not having this so managed to catch back up with them and gave them an absolute gob full. Few gave some back. 21km - 43:58

Onto the run, horrible out and back on gravel full of pot holes. Made sure I called out the remaining riders in the group as I passed, and didn’t actually get passed by anyone. 5km - 20:15.

Enjoyed it, and good to be back out there.

16 Likes

You have to pay for a full road closure. So council costs etc.

Every race Maryka won, she had the lowest gears in the field, despite being the fastest up the hill. Don’t think you’ll grind it out, when you’re on the limit you’ll just sprial to death.

Do split full speed recce’s e.g. first half full effort, spin to the top / next spin first half full effort to the top, gets you used to the full effort ride, but without being impossible.

Is it a hill where pacing matters, or is it just twiddle up at a single effort? If it is, really work on how to maximise it.

That’s all I’ve learnt from listening to Maryka.

Oh and now, you need a sub 5kg bike.

6 Likes

Great racing, shame about the drafting though but at least you let them know.

1 Like

Cheers Jim, I’m not a grinder & will have a 32 on the back. I went up yesterday & even with that I was down to 67rpm.

I’ll be getting over to it frequently & will try to vary when I put my effort in. It’s not a hill that lends itself easily to a steady effort, it starts reasonably easy before a couple of nasty ramps before evening off a bit.

If it’s possible to measure my effort is it best to expend more power on the steeper parts?

Same as any pacing strategy really, if your speed is slower than your (expected) average you put in more watts, so yes, steeper parts would be more. 'cos of how close you are to the limit on 8 minutes though it’s not exactly a pure pacing science, it’s easier where it’s an obvious much steeper section rather than variable.

1 Like

Congratulations @APM :clap: :clap:

1 Like

Has anyone done Catford Hill Climb?

Nope but did do the Bec Hill climb (and came dead last) and a few club mates have done the bec and catford hill climb double header, where you ride both and ride between the two. Might as well go full-in @FatPom

3 Likes

ouch!

1 Like

Waaah just seen @Doonhamer 's Chester aquathlon last night on Strava

Looks like 2nd overall with a 17m59s 5km :clap::clap:

13 Likes

Very nice!

FTFY :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Top bombing there @Doonhamer :clap:t3::clap:t3::clap:t3:

7 Likes

Cheers guys I enjoyed the series, but felt inflicting a 4th race report on you for a 30min race would be pumping up my own tyres a bit too much… but here’s a short one :grin:

Having had a bit of a time of it in the swim of the first race I’ve been gaining in confidence as the series went on & as such these races have seemingly brought my OW race nerves under control :crossed_fingers: .

My mate who is a stronger swimmer decided to go with a trisuit, but I plumped for my wetsuit. I felt the water was still a bit fresh & I would tire my legs kicking. As it was he only got out the water 29secss faster than me but destroyed me in transition taking another 37secs out of me to leave 66secs before me.

The run was memorably punctuated mid-way by a storm of biblical proportions. It was one of those that you wouldn’t have left the house in & if outside you would be running for cover. We were doing the run leg of an aquathlon & as such were soaked anyway on the dogleg we were all just grinning at each other like absolute loons :joy:

Unfortunately my 5km wasn’t sub-18, that was just me forgetting to hit my lap button, from the timing mats it was 18:12. That was a satisfying run as I ran myself up from 8th out the water to 2nd place. t wasn’t enough to catch my mate who despite running slower comfortably beat me by 45secs :cry: …I guess I’ll have to toughen up buttercup next season & trisuit it.

14 Likes

No but I’ve done Yorks Hill a few times, it’s a real grinder

1 Like