2024 Goals

You need to get on it and do a race, you’ll be M55 before you know it!

4 Likes

I’ve previously loved doing winter races. Somehow training through the autumn and early winter is so much more pleasant than late winter and spring. I think it must be carrying all the summer fitness into a training block. It probably helps when I had good performances too (Q’d at Bahrain 70.3 and a massive pb at Malaga marathon).

But when you’re living in the area I guess it’s no different than a peak season race here.

9 Likes

I haven’t had any specific goals really in the last few years, however I find myself approaching 2024 with some goals in mind:

1. 10 pull-ups
  2. 50 push-ups
  3. 5 min plank
  4. Climbing grade 7a - which all of the above should help towards.
17 Likes

Not sure yet…after 20 years with the GB AG teams in some capacity, this will be the first year without…

Regular swim, bike and run should do me…

Plus more to do at Spring Lakes with the business, a doctorate to finish and some papers to publish…

15 Likes

Can’t see me setting any records in the next couple of days so this will likely be my end of 2023 position which I’ll carry forward into 2024 as I’m fairly happy with how the gym is going. (The one thing that might change is my weight going up even higher this week though)

I’m not far away from some of them in terms of the estimated 1RM so initial target will be to achieve that then if I manage that try and actually lift that weight for a couple of reps. I don’t mind pushing my luck on bench press but the idea of 1RM attempts on Squat or Deadlift don’t fill me with joy.
Hardest part will be getting my weight/bodyfat down, may have to sacrifice a bit of strength at some point to focus on shedding a bit of fat.

10 Likes

Love it. Its that spreadsheet available to download somewhere?

As soon as I’ve shaken this cold I want to get back on it.

2 Likes

It’s just one I knocked up myself, can ping you a copy if you drop me your email.

1 Like

Last 6 months intervals.icu graph. Not pretty reading.

Will have a think about 2024 as I’ve been so low on mojo since Wales. I’ve ridden on the turbo once since Sept and zero times outside. Running not much better either.

:pensive:

So looks like a starter for ten will be just to get into a rhythm of activity. Have a half IM in May that I am hoping will be the driver I need.

8 Likes

I’m still somewhat tempted by 70.3 Swansea but haven’t done anything about it, haven’t even booked annual leave yet for the summer to return to UK. Definitely need something on the calendar though & don’t want to fly anywhere just to do a race.

7 Likes

If it wasn’t so expensive id be tempted. Enjoyed many good years in that part of the world.

3 Likes

I think I’m looking at some more audax. I’ll aim to do a few 200 and 300k events and might finally get around to doing the Super Randonneur award. I’m also going to do an Olympic tri along with a few mates, but not decided which one yet.

5 Likes

I’ve looked at Swansea but cost for a UK race is giving me doubts as I guess the roads will be crap. It’s also a 6 hour drive, I can almost make it to Europe in that time!

4 Likes

Currently undecided, need to build up again after the wrist injury.

Adventure racing appeals, but right now I am training so I can make maximum use of 2024s CLS trip.

6 Likes

I’ve got some outstanding business with an Audax, entered it for 2022 but ended up having a local the day before which flawed me so I didn’t risk it.

Planned to do it this year but then a combination of the injury & rubbish weather meant it was a struggle to find a decent weekend.

I’ve still got the original email in my inbox with the GPX file etc., so even if it isn’t the 2024 organised ride it’s on my todo list. It goes into the wilds of the Pennines.

8 Likes

Just did a ramp test, ftp 140 so a fucktonne of work to do.

11 Likes

Yeah, I can imagine an audax in your part of the world being particularly challenging!

4 Likes
  1. Complete Deca Iron
  2. Less stressed
  3. Less caffiene
  4. Less alcohol
  5. Some strength training
15 Likes

So casual…

:slight_smile:

6 Likes

Possibly not with your luck :rofl:

8 Likes

2024 goal: look after the temple

At risk of sounding like a whinger, after 49 injury free years, guess I got a bit complacent in 2023.

First of all I rolled my ankle on a stone back in March, that put me out of running action for 3 weeks.

Got back to running 70km per week but in the summer developed a creaky left knee. Never had that before & feel it was likely linked to recovering from the ankle problem. Had to back off running for much of the summer.

By autumn thankfully the knee was fully healed, but then I went and crashed my bike in a duathlon and messed up low back, right shoulder, and maybe 2% of my skin :open_mouth:. That took 6 weeks to come back from.

Finally, on Dec 30th, after a muddy winter family walk, was hanging shoes to dry on a rack, bent and twisted, sudden bad pain in low back which has been a problem since. Never had any sort of back problems before, so feel this may be linked to the October crash which was a pretty bad one.

Anyway, end result is that the Gods are finally telling me to take care of the temple. So strength, conditioning, better diet. Rather than just eat chocolate, drink beer & go out for a run whenever I feel, which has been the modus operandi for the first 50 years

Getting old sucks but as others have pointed out is probably better than the alternative… saw the 50s decade described somewhere else as “sniper alley” :open_mouth:

So, I guess, this means better diet (quantifiable) with all the nutrients and less of the bad stuff; a daily core & strengthening routine; daily swimming once back in the warm place; and “mindful” running ie not just smashing one out when the temple is closed? Also , staying upright on bike.

TLDR, 2024 goal= to end the year at least as strong, healthy and capable as at the beginning (low bar)

18 Likes