5G

Sorry, I was just referring to the inevitable delay to rollout & coverage. I’m guessing there’s a ready alternative to Huawei hardware, but that will have to be worked up in greater volume now?

If you’re in London, probably not such a delay. The 5G iPhone was scheduled for a Sept launch from a Voda pov, London is E/// exclusive.

In theory, you can just ‘swap’ makes of tech on a tower. The real issue is that you can’t install a E/// (or any other) 5G layer over the top of existing Huawei 3G/4G/LTE. They don’t play together well.

So if you’re an MNO and have clusters that are exclusively Huawei equipped, you’re going to lose 5G customers, or at least those customers that are making their mind up.

I can’t say a lot more without wandering into territory I’m not comfortable with but the fear for us was always the question over ‘Nexus’ and the US ability to pull the Global Trading Licence.

2 Likes

FP knows more than me about it given he works in the industry. I’ve got some experience with 5G.

My take is that technically, switching equipment is relatively simple depending on if they are going to demand they change antenna or just RAN however operationally and commercially it’s challenging. There’s also only so much trained contractor availability to do the work and if all operators have to go back and re-do their deployments that’s a lot more demand.

Commercially, there are only so many (non-Chinese) suppliers who are capable of delivering this technology, probably just Samsung, Nokia, E/// leaving limited choice if you want a diversified supply chain and the operators will potentially be over a barrel on contract terms given they may already use one of those for their core’s technology or operations outsourcing.

1 Like

Yep, all this and more. You’d have to scrap (and pay for) all the existing design (and gating) that has taken place. Start again with new design based on a different OEM.

Also, there are very few operators than can do their own transmission and scripting (Huawei could). Any third party transmission provider capable of getting a site to BHOP will absolutely have the buyer over a barrel.

There just are not that many smart providers out there. Well, there are but because 5G is a new tech, the OEMs don’t let those keys to the kingdom out easily. Try getting on an OEM’s tech course as a contractor and see how well that goes.

There is so much involved in building and lighting up a site and de-installing one, it makes your head spin. You can’t just switch one off and another on. (well you can on paper but reality is different)

1 Like

Getting a bit techy there :wink:

1 Like

I’m sure there used to be another 5G expert. What ever became of him?

5 Likes

haha yeah probably.How can I put it? You can buy a F1 car but only a few people know how to start the engine!

I think he’s busy telling a brain surgeon what they’re doing wrong.

2 Likes

Hasn’t logged in since May 22, last post Feb 7 when I recieved multiple complaints and he lost mod privileges. This software is awesome :rofl:

3 Likes

Right probably not the right thread (seeing as my mobile isnt 5g compatible - but at least I used the search function (badly).

Phone contract with EE coming to and end. No real reason to change phone so was looking to drop down to SIM only rolling monthly contract.
EE want to charge me £28 and lock me in for 12 months for that privilege. Quick look around and plenty of SIM only deals for around £10 that are more than adequate.
But I’ve always been happy with EEs coverage.
ID mobile on three - kids contract is on that but obviously he never leaves the confines of his room and wifi!
Plusnet on EE (?) - how can they do it so much cheaper?!?
Talkmobile and virgin both on vodafone - used to find their network awful

Any insight into best networks or ones to avoid?

I stuck with EE, something like 160gb data for £20 per month and 5G is available in some places up here.

It will come down to your Mobile Data requirements I guess. I get 15% discount, and pay around £22pcm for 60gb + 100gb free :joy: (that also includes YT Premium as well for £7, across any device) Everyone does free minutes/texts now don’t they?!

Im only averaging 5gb a month. 10 would be nice to be on safe side.
Barely text and phone calls are a bare minimum.
But before EE - vodafone used to pi55 me off when I never had coverage. But that was almost a decade ago.

1 Like

I found Vodafone really good in the Highlands 20 years ago; probably better than it is here. I have to go upstairs for a signal/data here much of the time :roll_eyes:

I rarely go over 5gb a month, but I wanted the YT package and ‘safety’ of big data in case my kids starting using it on road trips to Scotland/Devon.

I currently have 160 of 160GB to burn through…could I just leave it streaming all month?

I took the Plusnet rolling £10/30 GB deal a couple of months back & all seems good. I use them for internet & landline - remember those :grin: - & hadn’t any complaints.

2 Likes

Thats currently top of my list just because I think they stay on EE. Just wish EE would bl00dy match it. Faff (tho PAC codes much easier these days).

1 Like

I went through this a few months ago as my 80% employee discount for both our phones finally ended with Voda. They weren’t interested in doing anything for me.

I looked at all the options and for us, Talkmobile was by far the best. We picked up a deal for £10 p/m on a rolling monthly contract with unlimited calls/texts and 30Gb p/m but we are light users.

Nearly went with ID but the fact that you can’t call anyone in customer services put me off. Had no issues with coverage and been to some pretty rural places. Only time it hasn’t worked was when I’ve been somewhere that had no signal for anybody.

Also, don’t forget, just because X provider is on a certain network, does not mean that the cheaper MVNO will be able to provide all the benefits to you. That will depend on the optimisation licence/access they have paid for. (think of it like having the same car as someone else but they’ve paid for a higher state of tune)

1 Like

It will vary per area. You can view coverage maps for each provider online. Look at the areas you spend most of the time in and choose from the providers with the best coverage/prices.

1 Like

Wow this is all new to me (I had to google MVNO for starters).

Anything really bad to look out for?