Aero on a budget

Great, thanks. I see just to confuse me theres also a 550 pair but not on Wiggle. I’ll stick to the cheaper end.

2 Likes

There might be some difference in looks, styling and weight, but I’ve got three pairs of shimano spd-sl pedals, from the basic non-range ones, through to ultegra, and I’m not sure I practically notice any real difference. Maybe slightly crisper engagement on the top end models, but no discernable difference when actually riding. Go for the cheaper ones when starting out

1 Like

In case anyone else is still looking.

Not the most aero without faffing with sticking stuff to the underside of the Garmin mount but cheap and gets me CTT legal.

7 Likes

That’s a good wee light, I’ve got one on my helmet for commuting & another on my road bike. I also have a couple of the matching rear lights.

Is it rechargeable? Description seems ambiguous.

I have my garmin on a piece of plastic pipe cable tied between the bar extensions. Was just going to wrap a generic light onto that:

Not as bright, depends if I want to comply or want to have a half decent light I guess.

BTW, have you attached underneath your extensions? Does that mean it is pointing skyward, or can you adjust the angle?

Yes - has a USB thing built in

Yes. That part of the extension is pretty flat, so not pointing up.

That doesn’t look like a bad option.

I completely forgot about a front light.

Had to turn around and drive back home after I’d realised - I just electrical taped a small lamp on one of my extensions

I use an Exposure Trace as I have a Flare as the rear light and they came as a pair

2 Likes

Bought some new wheels. They’re going to take a few weeks to arrive so I can tidy the garden up a bit for the photos.

7 Likes

Ooohh what did you get?

I went for an open mold pair. I couldn’t find an exact pair I wanted from any seller so I asked one with good reviews if they would do a deal on what I wanted and they did, I got a tri-spoke front that is similar to the PDQ one and an 88mm rear. I asked here about front 60mm V 88mm and took on board that an 88mm might be harder to handle, especially without a disc rear which I understand helps keep things stable. But I have 50mm pair so didn’t see the benefit of going with a 60mm front. It’s a tri-spoke so regardless of actual aero benefit it’s :sunglasses:

The way I am riding right now I will be out there for ages getting all the aero benefit :laughing:

3 Likes

Yeah snap. I was in such a rush though that I couldn’t find the mount - tape had to do

These are actually pretty cool. They have a full size USB stick like on them so they go straight on a charger without a cable. They magnetic twist mount is also one of the best I’ve used.

1 Like

The profile design pads on my arm rests need replacing but they’re so old PD don’t make them anymore. The closest shape they curerntly do is the F-19 but that seems to be velcro backed but my old ones have little straps to hold it on. Do the new ones have adhesive to attach to the armrests?

So TT, do I buy them and get some adhesive backed velcro to attach them or is there some foam people use for these that I can then stcik on to the arm rests?

ETA: would this neoprene sheet do it?

I’d say that sheet looks ok - you’d want it nice and thick.

I feel like @funkster would know the answer to this

1 Like

I used 10mm for mine.

I did find that it can rub a little when you get sweaty, so I think I’ll be adding some fabric onto mine this season

1 Like

Cheers. Will order the 10mm and then see if I can use the fabric that is on the old pads.

Here it is with the new wheels on. Need to take them for a proper spin before deciding whether to use them at the weekend. I want shorter valve extension for the front but can’t find any for sale at a reasonable price ATM.

13 Likes

Nice hoops and I like the tan walls :heart_eyes:

1 Like

So…FKW.

Does anyone go out for a ride in their tw@ hat and disc wheel just “for the lolz”?

I ride to the local TTs in them.
Go out for 35mins before race day to check everything.

But haven’t been for an actual ride with them.
Ever.

I didn’t TT this week due to the ground being slightly damp and there was a modest breath of wind.
I’ve got TOIL this afternoon, so wanna ride it, but CBA with the faff.

Also, anyone ever built up a Zwift bike, full disc and massively deep front?

2 Likes