Aero on a budget

In the weeks leading up to a race I’ll go out with the TT in full race mode but not with the lid, that’s just for race day only

Good fun overtaking people with your rear disc rumbling away

2 Likes

By “weeks” you mean full on rides?
Like 160-200km?

Or just little 40km ones?

I find wearing the helmet more beneficial.
It’s really loud and I got a headache last time.
Just seems to amplify the noise.

I usually take my 30mm alloy training wheels out for longer rides. (Over 100km)
Anything less than that and I’ll stick some 40-60mm carbon wheels on (all rim brake, so try to preserve the brake tracks!)

Meh.
We shall see…legs ache anyhow.
Might just hop on Zwift.

1 Like

I don’t usually leave the disc on but when I’m more committed I do try and use the TT bike even if it’s only a club 10.

But I also have tri bars on my other bike at times to get partly used to the position.

I never take my disc off. So yes to to that one.

Twat hat helps me see better. Struggle with sunglasses frame in position. So yes to that one too.

Do I GAF…nope lol

6 Likes

I’ll have to give mine a go for a good couple of hours, as I have no idea how it handles etc. Last year I did one ride in full kit - helmet, tri suit etc. I guess once you know your kit is OK/comfy etc, that becomes less relevant. But I’ve been buying lots of new stuff the last 2 years.

2 Likes

So your outdoor TT bike rides are always with a disc and special lid???

Jaysus. I busted my balls trying to match your speed from Derby to Buxton and back :joy:
I had 30mm alloy rims and a normal helmet on :triumph:

#StravaRage

5 Likes

For the past couple of seasons I’ve only done half’s (through no fault of my own) I think in the final block before Outlaw half last year I went out on two ‘race preparation rides’ of around 80-90km aimed for race day power took nutrition, same setup that I would be using on the day etc…

I don’t tend to wear my lid but I know I’m super comfortable in it. It’s a sworks tt lid that I bought in 2016/2017 and I just get on with it and yes it produces more noise than my sworks evade but I don’t have an issue with it.

With the run up to Bolton I’m going to ride 2/3 centuries on the tt - one over @SidSnot s manor and loop around Drift Road and then get some rides down into the Surrey hills.

Undecided if I’ll take the disc to Bolton but I probably will. My 60mm HEDs require some brake fettling to work well on the rear of the P3

4 Likes

Actually that reminds me. I need to get the brakes sorted in the tt bike so it can accommodate the disc. Probs need some of those stupidly expensive yellow brake pads as well I guess?

Will have to check if the disc is alu or carbon braking surface.

2 Likes

Do you only need one pair?
I’ve a spare set. My disc uses even more special Exalith pads.

I can send you ‘em.
Slightly worn.

DM me if you need ‘em.

1 Like

Yeha quite possibly just the one. I’ll buy them off you. :+1:t3:

@adam what’s surface is the front wheel? What pads have you used on it in the past?

1 Like

It’s an aluminium track - And sorry I’ve been so slack on that front - I will get my hands on a wheel box

I think I’ve got a set of Mavic carbon pads knocking around if you need a set

Presume you have the same brake callipers that I have on my Propel - they’re a PITA to adjust

3 Likes

Well - there you go @gingerbongo

@adam can’t sort you out on both fronts :+1:t3:

1 Like

:person_shrugging:t3:

No idea. I’ll get a pic later. That’ll be going to the bike shop though!

But that would be ace, thanks man. And there’s no rush. I’ll do a bundle deal with you :wink:

#procurementskillz

1 Like

Yup. Don’t hate the player :joy:

Disc has alloy brake track, wheels it came with carbon. CBA swapping brakes and whatever over. Just left it on.
It’s only a glorified Flo disc… So not full carbon jobby.

Besides, when I go a race I don’t need to worry if it’s all been reassembled correctly, or if my race tyres are really prone to punctures. All checked in training :grimacing:

3 Likes

FRO with that :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

4 Likes

What thread did you post a pic of your new wheel?

I had zero punctures for about a year leading up to last autumn. Now I’ve been a frickin magnet. I think I’ve had about 8 in the last month. :rage:

1 Like

I’m riding race bike with race wheels. Will probably only ride outside about 8 or 10 times in total before Cotswold so want to get reacquainted with all the kit & iron out any problems. Also did a brick last week in my trisuit with a long sleeve T on top, as a comfort test. Haven’t risked the pointy hat yet but probably should.

3 Likes

For me the only difference is that I’ll put on a deep rear wheel instead of a disc. The first race of the year the TT bike saw day light was on race day. Otherwise it lives on the turbo and every ride is in the TT position.

5 Likes

What about going Zwift Lvl 39?

6 Likes