Aerobic 10km challenge

I could do with some triamcinolone right now. It’s not for fat loss honest. I was asthmatic as a kid too.

I am the same as @Poet and have same avg HR for 10km and HM. I reckon you others are just softcocking the HMs. :laughing:

I reckon I need to work on my 5km pace really. As I rarely do that.

2 Likes

The first 5km of that Half Marathon I ran quicker than I had done the parkrun the week previous :see_no_evil::rofl::man_shrugging:t4:

So I just held that to the finish

1 Like

Is it the Holy Grail though?

Wouldn’t going the distance you want in the shortest time, without issue be the end goal?

Is my low HR hampering my 5km performance?
Or is it my muscles rather than cardio?

1 Like

Ok, how about a different challenge for you?
This all sort of came about from yours last week.

Try and run 10km for the same HR I did for just under 40 minutes and see what time you get.

Your HR ceiling is 140 :wink:

1 Like

I’m thinking it speaks to be a big help if you want to run fast off the bike.

Don’t know the answer to is your low HR hampering 5km performance, but like @JibberJim points out cardiac output = stroke volume x heart rate. So would think cardiac output unlikely to be the limiting factor in your 5km time, if your HR is still some way off max? At least that’s what I would have thought until seeing Poets numbers & now :man_shrugging:

If you don’t mind me asking, when you are ran 10km in 44 minutes at 126bpm average yesterday- I’m guessing that felt nice and easy? What about the sub 40minute 10km, did that feel easy too?

Yeah they don’t feel hard.
Most mornings is the same route, so unless the wind is up, then it’s all around that 4:10-4:20 pace

The 10km “test” wasn’t hard as in I was having to slow myself down to keep the HR down.

As @Mungo2 points out, I should probably have a day off and as the weather Thursday morning looks very wet, then that may well be it

2 Likes

Hurray…!!!

1 Like

I used to benchmark my marathons with HR, what pace I could run at 140bpm was my stand alone marathon pace within a minute or two.

1 Like

My average for Oulton was higher than that, the 3:30 was quite disappointing but apart from the half marathon winner ( 1:09? I think ) everyone seemed to go a touch slower than they expected.

So just went for an easy run, 6km with some hills. My goal is no higher than 156. I averaged 145 but peaked at 160 how so that’s a dud effort, or within our parameters?

From the “rules”

“The idea is to keep the HR steady after the initial rise.
Peeking over the ceiling for short periods is allowed, but the aim to keep just under the max level”

1 Like

I think mine is steadily increasing. I’ll use an app that gives me hr avg per km to get more of a modal value than mean. :+1:

1 Like

My max is circa 186, my resting is around 50. Looking at a calculator that puts 75% a shade over 150?

Most of my runs I do under 130, which looks like it is 60%, so way lower than 75%. When I get fit (ie not now), I can get near 4:30min/k for 60% apparently. So I think I can get near to 4’s for a 150HR.

However as it is Humid as fuck in Auckland at the moment I doubt I can get anywhere near those numbers…

5 Likes

OK one for the hamster hearts.

I’ve just run for over 4hrs for an average HR of 163. And that includes stops/walking for nav, gates etc so lots of times where the hr dropped down low to reduce the average.

:joy:

10 Likes

Up the hamsters !!!

3 Likes

Happy Birthday btw

1 Like

8 Likes

Good stuff funkster. How did that feel?

Did my own 10km this morning as part of my normal run. Set out too fast and then couldn’t get the HR to settle under 130bpm without slowing to a pace that I should be well below 130bpm. 10km in 44:54. Interesting benchmark for me. I’ll try again in a month to see where an hour of running a day gets me. For reference my 10km PB is 39:24 set 6 years ago

1 Like

Wow just wow.

Well done :clap: :clap: