All things Turbo

I have a road and TT bike. I use them both outdoors in the summer but once the clocks go back the TT bike goes on permanent turbo duty.

1 Like

Yeah Iā€™m using my old roadie.
The less set up and faff the better for me. Hence why we got a second turbo as swapping bikes was just more faff.

1 Like

Do you have separate summer and winter bikes as well?

Interesting. One bike for summer and winter then. Plus the TT

2 Likes

Errr more good bike and commuter bike.
Commutes are really the only outdoor riding Iā€™ll do outside during winter.
So turbo gets plenty of use.

1 Like

Wattbike for me, but itā€™s just made a horrible noise and burning smell as I went for a sprint :grimacing:

4 Likes

Yeah, the road bike is a Van Nicholas Euros so the Ti frame stands up well to any conditions. It doesnā€™t have fancy wheels or components so would be a decent winter bike but I use it all year round and donā€™t want anything flasher for the summer. If itā€™s a nice night and I fancy a change I take the TT bike for a spin.

1 Like

Itā€™s fucking ludicrous - why would you have something so large?

1 Like

did you also spot the call out for the survey to one ā€˜Steve Leonardā€™ā€¦ā€¦ hmmhhā€¦ that seems vaguely familiar. :wink:

2 Likes

Was wondering if anyone would spot that! :blush:

All stemmed from this tweet late last night.

Got the survey a little before 1am, and when I saw the hardware I thought itā€™d probably be newsworthy so grabbed some screenshots. Should have taken more in hindsight.

Ray must never sleep. He replied via DM within a couple of minutes, and quite quickly Iā€™d emailed over the screenshots and given him as much info as I could remember. He had the article up middle of the night

13 Likes

My old commuting bike is now the turbo bike of choice, wonā€™t be cycling to work for a long time as things stand. Might drop the TT on there as we get nearer Lanza if the weather doesnā€™t allow long rides outdoors

my old PlanetX Exocet is on the turboā€¦. donā€™t trust it on the road after crashing it, and bought a P3 a few years back, so its been relegated to my turbo bike for 2 or 3 years nowā€¦works well, as it forces me to train in a TT position.

1 Like

Love the Wattbike at the gym, bit out of my budget for the home set up!

I bought second hand about 5 years ago for Ā£650 I think, although itā€™s had about Ā£350 of repairs now.

For its age Itā€™s has very little use although Iā€™ve done a bit more in the last 2 years.

2 Likes

Just noticed that iā€™ve ticked past 10,000 miles on my Neoā€¦. down to about 8p a mile now! :zipper_mouth_face:

9 Likes

I have a winter bike, summer bike, TT bike and commuter.

TT bike goes on the turbo in the winter.
Aero position work.

Comes off in April.
Winter road bike goes on turbo.

TT bike goes back on turbo in September.

Done.

Fans - Iā€™ve got the Screwfix one on the floor for my legs and lower body. Cleva VacMaster on my face.
No remotes or smart plugs. I can reach the dials with my massive arms :roll_eyes:

Chatting whilst riding - itā€™s okay using the companion app up to about 3W/kg. After that itā€™s harder. Iā€™d wager most people arenā€™t giving their real weights on Zwift, so their 4W/kg is more like 2.5W/kg :pensive:
Just lose some virtual weight.
Job done.
Or turn off the chat function. Which is what I do.

1 Like

I have an old commuting bike permanently set up as turbo bike. Very convenient & also Iā€™m not worried about sweat damaging nice bike, or maintaining general roadworthiness.

2 Likes

I got a reconditioned wattbike 4 years ago from wattbike the best money I could have ever spent even had 0% finance. Virtual never go out over winter now l love it some people hate it but great with the sufferfest etc

10 Likes

Just in case there are any other luddites/tight wads like me that wonā€™t pay a subscription for fancy turbo software.
Iā€™ve been using VeloReality software for a few years now. Itā€™s free and meant to run their videos but it has the facility to control a smart trainer and you can build your own workouts in it, based on time and % FTP so you get the benefits of ERG mode (I donā€™t have a smart trainer anymore but still use it with my power meter, just have to dial in the power myself)
Anyway, itā€™s been getting more and more temperamental and after uninstalling and reinstalling a few times, Iā€™ve given up on it and gone back to Golden Cheetah which has the same functionality, just doesnā€™t look as nice.
Ps. I do have a really old laptop just for the shed so it may be fine on something newer.

1 Like

Iā€™m thinking of swapping my Tacx flux s for a Neo 2SE as advertised on wiggle for Ā£749. Is there anything else I should consider at that type of price. I have a bonus at the end of the month and the fluxā€™s belt is squeaking but will do for my son when he goes to Uni in September.
The turbo has been hammered in the 3 years we have had it as both of us use it daily and considering I paid less than half price off the wiggle eBay site I think I have done on with it.
Open to suggestions

1 Like