All things Turbo

Don’t think you’ll go wrong with either a Neo or a Kickr… both gold standard turbos…. personally, i’ve done over 10,000 miles on my Neo now without it missing a beat, but suspect that many Kickr owners would be able to say the same

Can you calibrate the Neo?

I have the Neo 2T, and the issue is that you cannot calibrate, it is gradually reading lower and lower. When it was new it read 2% Below Assiomas, a year ago it was around 3% below, not is it is 6% below… I have 2 pairs of Assiomas and a Rotor PM, all read at least 7% higher than Neo 2T. On the other hand my old Tacx Flux reads around 2% lower than Assiomas but needs to be calibrated regularly.

Flux is a little variable depending when I calibrate. If I calibrate when it is cold it can over read by up to 8% so it needs to be calibrated when warm.

1 Like

I have to give the Flux s a 20 min warm up before I try the Zwift calibration test, I’ll have a look at the wahoo kickr as well

1 Like

Exactly the same on the Flux, 20 mins seems to be the right amount of time. Would be interested to know how the Kickr looks, also the Elito Direto X if anyone has one

There’s a Kickr core on CDNE bike sales, new apparently, £550 from Geordie land

1 Like

Close enough for me - think I’ll stick with the turbo for power - gave me the win today :grin:

6 Likes

If you keep looking, Wahoo sometimes do sales. I picked up the last gen kickr for not much more than the core.

That’s bloody awesome :clap:t3:
2.5% leeway seems about normal, to be 0% at 20 minutes is ace.

Seems to go haywire when I use the TT bike on the turbo… But I’ll not worry about that right now.

Your Saris Turbo definitely better for big sprints.

OK. I’ve moved from clogging up the Zwift thread.

So it really is a day of tech blackout here. My work laptop, 3 weeks after being returned from it’s dramatic death, has now gone on a blue screen, forced restart run. I think we’re in double figures today, but now it doesn’t want to even turn on. Great.

So i thought I’d use the opp to go back to the Flux.

Just took my phone. Turned the turbo off, left it a bit and back on again. Warmed it up for 6 or 7 mins. Installed the Tacx app. Connected the turbo to the app, all OK.

Dialled up the calibration, did that OK. Firmware up to date. Cool.

Went to do a tacx workout to test it. Zero watts. Workout pauses asking me to start pedalling, which I am!

Turbo is still connected just not reading anything.

Restart, repeat steps above. Same result.

I’m going back to the canyon and dumb trainer at this rate! It doesn’t like me for some reason (worked fine for my friend who owns it).

Are you getting resistance when you pedal? Or is it really 0W?

If it is connected to the app, is it showing anything else? Cadence, Speed, can you set the pwr in the app and feel the difference when you pedal?

If you connect to strava on your phone, can it connect to the trainer and show power? What about your watch or bike computer?

Lots of questions, just to cover up that I have no clue.

1 Like

There was some resistance, yes. When I did the 2nd test it started on 274w which may have been me spinning it up before selecting the ‘course’ but then once it started it stuck on that wattage for a bit then changed to zero.

Don’t think it was showing cadence either. Couldn’t do the power thing as it just auto paused the workout within a few secs asking me to pedal.

Haven’t tried strava or a Garmin yet. Will give that a troubleshoot later.

All a bit odd as it ‘works’ fine in Zwift. It could be just me.

Sorry, can’t help just popped in to ask which turbo you’ve got?

Tacx flux s

(not mine, just borrowing)

1 Like

I explained what a smart trainer is to my wife today.

:fishing_pole_and_fish:

11 Likes

The next stage is to start showing her how expensive the top end ones are so that you can drop in how you only want a “cheap” one.
I’m not aware of any ludicrously expensive turbos but most components you find some sort of unobtainium version for silly money.

7 Likes

Yeah start off with the kickr/stages bike, move down to the neo/kickr then slide on down to the kickr core/flux/direto

3 Likes

Then when there’s a chink in the armour, get someone here to post a black Friday wiggle deal with an extra £70 off the KickR core

Job done

Think of all the money you saved

2 Likes

I think you were torn between this & the Saris you bought. Have you been happy with the Saris, any regrets? I can get 9% off at Halfords, so I’m tempted. I’m even more tempted to get their H3/MP1 bundle which comes out at £773.

2 Likes