All things Turbo

Zwift dropping hardware plans and laying off staff. Is this another example of normalising after Covid or a bigger lack of participation per the local race thread?

1 Like

It seemed to imply they were bracing for recession and lower revenues and wouldn’t sell some niche but expensive but expensive indoor bikes.

Dare say they’ve seen what happened to peloton.

1 Like

As the article says, the Zwift bike would be a high end/expensive product and sales of trainers at that end of the market have fallen off a cliff now because everyone who wants one bought one during the pandemic.

Unless they’re going to lease the hardware as part of the monthly subscription, I would have thought that the future of the likes of Zwift and Peloton has to be in software rather than hardware

1 Like

I also think it was a pretty poor concept that seemed to have no advantage over putting your actual bike on a direct drive trainer.

Just came on to post that. Zwift was always one of those things that I ran in the background, almost regardless of how much I used it but since the CoL increases, I binned it and would have to think hard about re-instating it before the depths of winter again.

1 Like

I assume they were intending it to be a rival to the Kickr bike, Wattbike and Stages bike rather than a straight alternative to buying a turbo.

I know a few people who’ve bought them over the last couple of years. A nice addition to the home gym, if you’ve got space for one :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I’m referring to their specific concept rather than complete gym bikes in general. It was effectively a dummy bike (including fake front wheel) on a turbo so seemed to offer little benefit, particularly in terms of space and probably less adjustability than the options you mention.