And now for the gallery... ...what images have you got?

You can’t beat a bit of dreich weather for a tri in the Lakes … 2005 Helvellyn Tri

12 Likes

Sorry that just looks miserable! Give me Israman any day :grinning:

7 Likes

It was actually a good race. Ignoring the shivering, what I remember most was the turn around on the run. Up until that point the wind was like having a jet engine roaring at you. Literally running around the chair they had tied down was like running from winter into spring. With the wind behind you it was calm, quiet and warm. Just lovely. That last 10k was brilliant.

i really should sign up for Helvellyn. Trihard put on a good race.

4 Likes

LOL - my main weather related challenge in triathlon was overheating. Those clips of Israman remind me of Kona which is, without any doubt, the worst possible race I could ever imagine

I raced it on the first occasion it was run in 2009.

It was so hot and humid that, on the first climb on the run, I could literally see water condensing in mid air.
On the last few miles alongside the lake, the air was so oppressive that I had to walk for periods as I was simply too hot to run.
It was a pity as I was going really well & had probably the best swim of my life. I left T2 with Toyota_Crown and he finished 29th whilst I finished 86th. I’m not suggesting that I would have kept up with him but it was a frustrating day.

So, give me cooler and damper any day when I was racing :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That’s weird, I was only thinking of Alice yesterday. i wondered if she was still racing? She lent me a road bike once for a couple of weeks when I was over from Oz. Lovely lady and lovely family.

2 Likes

I decided not to add this previously as it felt a bit weird … she’s recently got into female body building competitions.
Not something I ever thought I’d write!

Coincidentally, I think the last time I met her was at the 2009 Day in the Lakes

1 Like

I don’t mind running when it’s like that but loathe swimming and cycling in the cold, it’s hard to find a perfect triathlon for me!

5 Likes

Wow really? She wasn’t exactly ‘stocky’, quite the opposite.

I ‘think’ the year she lent me the bike was 2008.

Just perused her Insta. :eyes:

Last night, swim 8-9pm (inside pool which is just to the left of the pier) , but nice time of year for sunsets

13 Likes

Spinal Tap stage props is it?

1 Like

Helvellyn good fun that one. 2010 I did it

Remember I was shivering a fair bit at start of ride. That’s when I was using all my brothers gear lol - strategically forgot to hand it all back after alpe d’huez triathlon.

Thought I did ok in the swim but must have had an awful transition cos seemed like I was at the back on bike. Caught everyone up on the big climb, promptly lost every place descending :laughing:. Thankfully redeemed myself on the hike up, run down

3 Likes

I do it the other way, catch people on the descent and flat and lose 2x as many places on anything more than a slight up slope. But even when lean, I’m still fairly big.

Going with the flow on the way back.

11 Likes

Love it! Are you allowed to just kayak up into central Bath? No restrictions?

1 Like

I just engaged #Bossmode :sweat_smile:. No restrictions. There are always paddle boarders up around the weir.

2 Likes

I think generally you can go where you want on the river network. It’s landing on private property that causes an issue.

2 Likes

Isn’t it about 3-4% of rivers are actually legally accessible? I think there’s been years of campaigning to get the law clarified and rivers opened up.

2 Likes

The Avon there appears to require the licence, so it’s not publically accessible, but you can paddle on it if you buy the licence.

Not my proudest moment but aged about 19 I once got cautioned by the police for swimming in the River Trent near Trent Bridge in Nottingham. The bit of paper described the offence as “swimming in a navigable waterway”, apparently my swim prowess is such that 3 different people phoned 999 to say a child was drowning in the river :man_facepalming: Even had to declare it when I applied for a job once

14 Likes