Any AV experts?

Yeah we had crap Wifi coverage in the house. The router is in the playroom at the front and we have a TP Link mesh in the lounge at the back of the house and one in the landing. Wifi coverage is great everywhere now

I’ve just started working in the attic, as opposed to the bedroom and the WiFi reception up here is sketchy at best (router is on ground floor) - phones/tablets pick it up and drop it intermittently.
My work PC has to be cabled so I use powerline extenders for that but still want WiFi for phones so dug out an old TP Link extender I had kicking around from years ago. Unfortunately there isn’t a suitable plug halfway between router and attic so I’ve plugged it in in the attic and it’s working perfectly. I guess because it has relatively big external aerials it can pick up the signal from the router better than phones/tablets and it even shows Green for a strong signal.

1 Like

And it streams Netflix and Teams video fine? Just concerned about adding lag.

Yep. During lockdown we had 4 of us either streaming or on teams. No lag at all. Admittedly we have a very fast base speed but it works great. It auto switches channels as well and will connect to the strongest base point.

2 Likes

Oh that reminds me, there’s probably some compatability with the Virgin Media Superhub I need to bear in mind.

I’ve used Devolo powerline extenders for some years and they work superbly well (German engineering innit). Some of the extenders had wifi hubs built in, so you could benefit from wired or wireless.

The new gaff has FTTP with extension plugs in each room so I should be covered for the future

2 Likes