I haven’t posted this in the general Covid thread as I wanted this to be specifically about events next year.
I’m keen to get racing again, and I’m waiting for entries to open up for Lanza 2021. I’ve done it twice already, and have been over as a supporter a few times, so it’s a given that I love the event.
What’s troubling me is how things will look next year. Specifically:
- Fewer entries to enable maximum distancing between competitors
- … leads to fewer crowds, therefore less atmosphere
- Having to be largely self-sufficient with nutrition - not a huge drama
- No pre/post event social activity - was never a fan of the pasta parties etc, but they definitely added to the experience for some people, so a more ‘clinical’ approach to event management might put them off
- No expo/minimum expo with fewer independent sellers
So I’m anticipating the large-scale Ironman/CHallenge events will look and feel different. But will that be different enough to put people off? I’m wondering what everyone’s thoughts are.
My mindset is torn between just doing Lanza 2021 and enjoying(?) the experience whatever the shape/size, to maybe sitting it out and see if things settle in 2022…
I’m also going to be doing a few small scale local events to ‘do my bit’ to keep things ticking over, but really interested in what people are thinking re the larger, more international events. And Bolton/Wales.