Appetite to race next year - what will events look like?

They used be called the Meltdown party. Somewhere along the line it got moved from evening, to lunchtime and combined with slot allocation. In Oz they used to have all the beer you could drink, then they gave a voucher for 2 beers only. Pasta parties got shifted an included voucher to use in town.

Seems to be a non event these days.

Assuming things are back to normal next year I will do what I planned to do this year, which is local(ish) sprints, maybe an Oly and possibly a local half IM and probably a half marathon. The idea was to that this year and enter a Euro IM for 2021 but will move that back to 2022 again with the assumptions that things are more like normal.

Apologies if already shared. Do you think the apparent “next to bike” transition is likely, or is that just an over simplification of the video?

next to bike transition should work OK although I guess there will be changing tents with social distancing in place (maybe changing cubicles) for those who want to change kit

I’ve practiced social distancing in T1 throughout my entire IM history :slight_smile:

8 Likes

My appetite this year pretty much means I am gonna have to race next year :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Haha snap.

Just got back from a 50km easy ride. And I’m on toast slice number 4!

3 Likes

OK it’s not a race (or even an organised event) but I’m prepping for my first tri since cotswolds 113 in 2015.

I’d forgotten how much flippin stuff you need to sort! Running is so much easier!

Sea was looking very choppy today, and it’s just as windy tomorrow morning. So that’s going to be an experience!

10 Likes

Have we got any idea from race organisers about 2021 yet?

Roth for example have this, so at least theres a slim chance of getting in “ Pre-Christmas Action on December 6, 2020, 12 noon

As a part of our charity pre-Christmas action, our registration lists will again be open on December 6 at exactly 12 noon, in order to allocate the very last remaining tickets. The action will follow the same principle as the online registration on July 13, with just one difference: By taking part in the action, athletes will again support a good cause.”

Roth always did this in Dec. I think it used to be 150 slots.

1 Like

very unlikely. all they can do at this stage is plan, but who knows what next year will bring??

1 Like

Yeah, well basically Im wondering if I can plan to race next year if I dont get barca postponed.

Will they register people this year as normal and postpone if required, or hold back registration until a few months out. Do I need to sit hammering the refresh button on the Roth site at 11:59, for example, as the only game in town.

Normally Id be flicking through the race calendar seeing what could fit into school and holiday plans, and my own race preferences.

I have postponed races; Brighton marathon in April but Im not that keen on it, London Tri early August. Only really fits with a late season long course, hence Barca this year, when I wanted to do Roth. I suppose Lanza end of May and/or Kraichgau 70.3 in June would work but who knows when theyre registering.

It will be interesting to watch the next few months when races would normally open for next year. Obviously races like IM Wales are hardly going to have any slots.

But Boston is opening in September I think, I think it will be reduced numbers though.

Early season races might hold off opening entries for now.

1 Like

I think we will also see a number of events not appearing at all in 2021, probably more so on the local tri circuit rather than the big international ones. some EOs have already thrown the towel in, some have closed down, and some will be considering it whether it’s all worth it given higher costs, and reduced return, and increasing paperwork.

4 Likes

I’m wondering if the biggest hit will be 2022? A lot of races will be filled next year from deferrals, the tipping point could be the year after.

3 Likes

Think you could be right there FP

Yeah, I think there will be a knock on effect for a couple of years. Everything is so unknown. 2021 will be full of 2020 deferrals. 2022? Who knows…

could well be right but if anyone has a cancelled/postponed local event for this year, I’d check what the proposals are and what’s happening to any entry fee already paid

I would have thought that any race organisers with paid staff still on their books will be keen to open entries as soon as possible to get their cashflow going again.

UTMB offered a deferral over 3 years to spread it out.

There’s a rumour it’s a similar option for London marathon, not that they’ll struggle to continue.

1 Like