Appetite to race next year - what will events look like?

I bet there are a load just pissed off at the entitled attitude of some who think they should get a full refund and that EO’s are all multi millionaires because they get 500 people and charge £100 each for a race

2 Likes

no doubt.

Saw the the Kew 10k runs are planning to go ahead and they added an extra day as well as reduce capacity. Thought it might be worth a punt but not at £40 :crazy_face:

I’ll continue to just run 10ks by myself for the moment…

1 Like

I’m beginning to think it’ll only be commercial races and the prices will be going up a lot. The amount of extra hassle and work being put on organisers will kill the voluntary side of things, especially with every different governing body, local council, police forces and dogsbody deciding completely different things to be met.

Could be a bunch of folk returning to golf as a hobby instead this season

2 Likes

I think a few clubs might still try if they have smaller overheads or less red tape. Our clubs 3 events are fairly low key but do bring in enough money to help keep the club going well and subsidise swim sessions etc.

Might be right in busier parts of the country though.

At least they will be used to wearing stupid looking kit!

2 Likes

Ironman still announcing new races, 70.3 Andorra. Not sure where the swim is going to be, doesn’t look like there’s many lakes etc. in the country. Probably won’t be very flat but it was a fairly nice place but quite expensive in the city.

Getting less and less comfortable about Barcelona. Is it the second or third wave in Spain now? Foreign Office saying “dont go there” 🤦🏻

9 weeks away? I can just see this being the one IM race that goes ahead as its a Spanish decision, with people keeling over in the streets.

1 Like

I think it’s a bit of a bump, but isn’t it only the second? I thought something said the concern was that at least 10 people have brought it back?

Also thought there were restrictions in that area already, hopefully they’ll bring it under control soon.

2 Likes

Yeah but these things are after the fact so they’ll lift the restrictions, Ill fly over for the race, then the disease rises, then they notice, then they reimpose restrictions…or the same in another order!

Blimey. They still think that’s going ahead? There’s not the same kind of spikes in the Vitoria area as far as I’m aware, and yet they pulled the plug on that and I assumed that was a result of the Catalonia outbreaks (meaning Barca was canned at the same time).

Definitely agree with your negative outlook for it

2 Likes

I think there’s about 3 70.3’s in Spain and the islands as well in the coming months that must be a nervous. Especially if Germany increases restrictions.

1 Like

Just do them ‘Virtually’ Jeff :+1:

Luckily I haven’t entered any.

I miss events. I don’t typically “race” with anyone else because I am not competitive enough (except for some trail running events where I can place okay), but I love the anticipation of an event. The nerves, the planning, imagining the outcomes… I love it. I love exercise. It has so many mental health benefits for me, and I will do it without events, but I am missing the structured aspect. I am super lucky to have managed to take part in Pilgrims Challenge earlier this year (first weekend in Feb), and to do well at it, so I have a sense of at least getting something in this year.

6 Likes

there are a number of events now on the BTF website who’s organisers are applying for permits under the Covid regulations. no guarantee they will get permitted as there are lots of intangibles but worth keeping an eye on and enter when they are ready.

3 Likes

With marathon its the race that bothers me, I just cant see a socially distanced race happening, and running in a cloud of covid droplets from hundreds of heaving lungs for a significant period of time is tantamount to holding an infection party. Even if its not me that catches it.

With triathlon its more the travel. I don’t think Im going to get covid by being punched in the face in the sea, nor have I ever been crowded by athletes by the time I get to the run. But sleazyjet, holiday accomodation and the extra thousands of people and infection points…hmm. I think Ill be more governed by the general infection rate of the destination.

2 Likes

I’ve just entered a 50K trail run, there’s not a big field but people are starting with a 2 minute gap to spread the field out.

Can’t see many mass starts for a while yet.

2 Likes

I’m less concerned by this. Everything I have read says that the air filtration in a plane, and the rate at which the air is entirely replaced, is something like 20x that of what you get in an office space or building. So I largely think flying is probably ok.

I do agree with running events. I struggle to see how those are not highly susceptible, but also agree that swimming and cycling, and running in a triathlon, are much much lower risk (in my brain at least).

I have a middle distance on Sunday. It will be interesting to see how it all goes. The TT style format doesnt really bother me too much, as I always race things at my own pace anyway, even in the swim. I’ve previously determined I get better OW swim times by just swimming my own pace than trying to make use of a draft.