Balancing ‘everything’!

I was just thinking it would be interesting to see folks top 5 :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Find a piece of paper, write “to do list” at the top. Underneath, write “create to do list”, then cross of it as you’ve completed it, now put the list in the recycling, and do some work.

12 Likes

What needs to be done now?
Nothing.
So it’s time to relax :man_in_lotus_position:t2::bath:t3:

Inverse Parkinson’s Law, my learned friend.
Give the task 12 minutes, it’s done in 12 minutes.

It’s just a #ScienceFact :person_shrugging:t3:

Or maybe I’m a product of the Dilbert Principle :shushing_face:

Like racing at Outlaw innit.
Needed to be home by 7pm, made sure I’d finished by 5pm to get home in time.
If people didn’t stay in hotels on race day, or book the Monday off work, they’d be quicker.
That’s just a #ScienceFact , too.

2 Likes

Thought so. Off for a nap.

5 Likes

I’ve kind of gone away from ‘balance’. I’m 55, by my estimate I have another 25 years treading the boards. Of those, the last 10 will be shit and tying my own shoelaces will be a win. The 10 before that will see a sharp decline in just about everything physical and mental.

So the next 5 are really the only good ones left. So, yeah complete excess, fill my boots with life, do everything I can etc. I’m fortunate in that I can financially and life circumstances wise, and am already only working part time.

17 Likes

I know people with potentially life shortening illnesses are generally told not to have lists, or at least big ones as it’ll probably cause anxiety that they are unlikely to complete most.

Keep them short and achievable.

I like the 5+35 idea, some I’ll be chipping away at for a while, others I might get done in 12 months or have now ticked them off. Eg, being alive at 9pm on a Thursday, although that one is recurring :joy:

1 Like

True that, I guess I have staying alive as a sort of overarching meta-goal, but it certainly makes it to the very top of the to-do list between 7.30pm and 8.30pm on a Thursday :smiley:

1 Like
  1. Get laid

…erm?

5 Likes

No chance mate (neither have I). Whats no 2?

1 Like

Still thinking.

2 Likes

FTFY

6 Likes

Not exactly the same but some things on this thread.

2 Likes

Oddly enough just after reading your post something popped up on the browser splash screen on my works PC about bucket list goals for over 55’s. Apparently these are the top 40.

Not my choices and a lot don’t really appeal like tattoo’s, parachuting etc. but each to their own.

Obviously several of us on here will have done things like London marathon :slight_smile: I’m never likely to have the talent or ability for anything arty or musical so they’re straight out of the window! And for #30 I’m sure Helvellyn tri will do :rofl:

1. Visit Australia
  2. Visit all eight new Wonders of the World
  3. Fly in First or Business Class
  4. Swim with dolphins
  5. Drive along Route 66 in America
  6. Write a novel
  7. Go travelling
  8. Live in another country
  9. Reunite with a lost best friend
  10. See a shooting star
  11. Do a skydive
  12. Meet a Royal
  13. Go to space
  14. Rent a wildly expensive car for an afternoon
  15. Cycle through Europe
  16. Walk on the red carpet
  17. Cage diving with sharks
  18. Dive to a shipwreck
  19. Explore an abandoned building
  20. Sleep in the jungle
  21. Climb a mountain
  22. Try surfing
  23. Stay in VIP camping at Glastonbury
  24. Go paragliding
  25. Chase a tornado
  26. Walk on the wing of a plane
  27. Get a tattoo
  28. Go skinny-dipping
  29. Release an album
  30. Swim in ice-cold water
  31. Run the London Marathon
  32. Cycle to Paris
  33. Go on stage at a music festival
  34. Ride a motorbike
  35. Be on a reality TV show
  36. Run a 10k
  37. Join a band
  38. Do a one-armed press-up
  39. Swim the English Channel
  40. Hold a venomous snake
1 Like

21/40 for me

1 Like

Hmm, I’m not sure #1 counts for you :joy: I’m pretty sure you must have been chased off snakes before!

Edit: hmm about 10 for me :frowning:

1 Like

:joy:

Technically flying in Concorde might have got you 2?

5 for me :joy:
Seems my life is as exciting as my house/work mapping.

1 Like

What an absolutely shite list, most of them are trivial, you don’t exactly want them very much, sure going into space or doing a 1 arm press-up ain’t easy - but if you can’t be bothered to visit the local tattooist, take your clothes off and go for a swim, chuck 20 quid to the guy who rents our the surf boards or motorbikes, dress up as a school kid and hang out in pizza express then are they really f’ing goals you actually seriously have?

Of course, I’m blaming the wrong people, it’s the lack of vision in the twenty-something survey designer who put up the suggestions to write “yeah, these are the sort of thing old people might want to do” They should put RANT on the list too for a bit of realism.

3 Likes

13.5 I’d say

The IM red carpet, right?

2 Likes