Bike Cleaning

But they pick up less crap that lube and don’t take anywhere near as much to clean when you need to. If anyone is going to see the biggest return for waxing a chain, it’s CX riders in this regard.

2 Likes

So after a wet ride I’d need to remove the chain - white spirit - methylated spirit - wax?

Or just wipe clean then re-wax?

Wipe, dry and rewax

1 Like

Perfect :ok_hand:t2:

I picked up one last night . Wax & acetone are in the post :grin:

1 Like

Yep. Just waiting for my wax.

A friend has said he’s just got 3 bags of speed wax - trying to blag one of him!

1 Like

Really? I rode to work twice a week through the winter, often in the wet, with a waxed chain, rewaxed roughly every 400km. Chain becomes a little noisy when it needs to be waxed so pretty easy to tell.

I often skip the wipe and dry bit :grinning: After most rides, especially in the wet, I wash the bike (in the shower), so chain is normally free from mud and dirt

What?!

Yeah. Seen quite a few do that.

Prop it up in the bath and hose it down

1 Like

Doesn’t everyone?

I have a nice walk in shower, that I walk past to get to basement, where bikes are kept. I give the shower and toilet a good clean after, so my wife is happy that the bathroom gets cleaned

And since I use wax, no risk of oily mess… although I did get in trouble once for leaving tyre prints on the wall tiles: lesson learned

1 Like

Me too, just felt like bad advice and I wouldn’t do it in fresh MSW but cheap wax no bother just spits a bit :slight_smile:

1 Like

Fresh MSW is reserved for race day.

Err no! I’d struggle to physically get a bike up my stairs and into the bathroom. The shower is one of those terrible in the bath ones. My life wouldn’t be worth living if I attempted that! :man_facepalming:t3:

I think we’ve established from another thread, that we don’t all have Stepford Wives :rofl: Plus yeah, isn’t bringing the bike into the bathroom a PITA, especially if it’s minging?

2 Likes

My bathroom is downstairs at the back of the house - my wife would still kill me though

1 Like

After a wet ride you’d then have to clean all the mud, grit and oils from the shower/bath too?!

Gravel bike jockey wheels were in an absolute state when I checked over the bike this morning.

Rear brake also a bit squishy, so ordered the burping cup (I know that isn’t the proper name) and some Shimano oil, so next job is to try and get the air bubbles out. I checked the pads and they are still in excellent condition.

Amazing how quickly grime builds up.

1 Like

1 Like

I can confirm my brake burping worked wonders, and my gravel bike is also back to its shiny best.

When I am working under high stress, like this week, I find a 15 minute trip to the garage to clean my bike really settles my mind. I love it. The technical focus, the fact that you can fix something quickly and leave it in a better state. It seems to be a salve for more complex issues.