Bike fit results

for those interested, here’s a Dutch article commenting on Kristian Blummenfelt’s bike fit in a visit to a wind tunnel in Eindhoven (unless you speak Dutch slap Google Translate on)

the guy is a freak!

What an odd fit. It just doesn’t look like it works and causes all kinds of compromises.

yeh - it looks so wrong. I wonder if that’s because of Blu or because of the bike - either way it looks like a compromise. but it seems to work for him!

I think i used Andy once, was he at BikeScience?

I haven’t had a fit for ages but my last one, and the position I kept for a few years on the Bianchi was with The Bike Whisperer in Thatcham.

Yeah, he’s Bike Science. It was a shop in Bristol when I went, in I’m guessing 2014/15. I think he’s more to Gloucestershire now in more of a home studio type setup.

Ah right, it was Bristol I went to, fairly near Halfords. He was dealing in the Legend brand quite a bit.

1 Like

Yeah i saw some pics on insta a while back. Iden was taking the piss out of it. Looks proper weird!

There’s a long thread on ST about it. One of the theories is that Giant have a new TT bike ready to release and that the old bike is a very odd fit so the extensions he’s using are to get him a position on this bike that will ultimately be for the new one.

1 Like

I think it’s mentioned in the Dutch article that Giant have a new TT bike coming so what Blu has is a stop-gap

1 Like

Just got a quote for a fit.

£375! Was not expecting that

That seems like a lot to me. One bike or two?

One ffs!

Their angle is that it’s more than a fit with advice on equipment and looking through cda data from previous racing with ongoing adjustments and advice.

Significantly cheaper to drive up to Matt Botrill

1 Like

Yeah, I’d be doing that or going to the guy I used who was one of the original fitters for MB

1 Like

Trying to recreate my fit on the new bike. Different geometry, so not going to be perfect. I knew I was borderline between Trek sizes but didn’t realise that the seatpost was such a limitation.

Set it to max and set off but was definitely too low so raised it a small amount beyond the limit. Is this safe?

Some google foo shows me that they do the seatpost in two length 135mm and 175mm and two different offsets 5mm and 20mm this being the short one with 22mm offset.

Simple solution would be to buy the long one and sell this. I’d want to experiment with it bit higher and saddle more forwards but can’t with this one. I reckon the 175/5 would be ideal and then need to experiment with longer stem to get the reach setup right. The 90mm on there is a bit cramped but have a few in the part box to try out.

Finally went ahead with my bike fit today. Amazing how much of a difference small changes can make.

Always knew my cleats weren’t right and we got that immediately fixed. Suddenly my feet were happy rather than constantly shuffling back and forth to find the sweet spot.

Saddle ended up being raised about 1.5cms as well as going forward. Bars were raised by a couple of cms as well giving me a better frontal position with no loss to torso angle. Arms actually feel supported on the tri bars now so the pressure/stress immediately vanished from my shoulders and wrists.

Pedal stroke now much more smooth and not so stompy as a result of being higher and more over the crank.

My current helmet, luckily, turned out to be a perfect fit as well.

I’ll pop some pics when the report comes through for comparison later. But all in all, very impressed.

18 Likes

I hope you cleaned it first :joy:

6 Likes

A cursory wipe down. :joy:

5 Likes

Been waiting all day, where are the pics?

Think there must be an issue with the email coming through. I have chased.

There’ll only be side on pics though as he just did the frontal work by eye I think. Well, he used one of those laser things to make sure the knees were tracking properly.

2 Likes

There’s a snap on @chickenboy 's Insta Story … bike definitely has a film of something on it :smile:, chain looks good though :ok_hand:.

3 Likes