Brilliant bigger guys and gals >90kg

Hi all, thought we could use a space for us bigger guys. Even if my CPH diet were to go to plan I’d be over 90kgs. I thought it’d be useful to have a thread for us bigger guys to share words of wisdom. So…not the usual stuff (ie. Iwaters I can’t help you with your gun stuff, obvs!!) but maybe we could help each other other the stuff we talk less about…

1 Like

I know we have a weight thread.

I know all of the big guys a bit but wanted some way of having our zone for discussing big guy issues,

I have noticed that brakes meant for mere mortals are fucking bollox for us. Try going down a 25% gradient when you’re 18 stone with 140mm rotors and you may as well write your will…

1 Like

This is not FETCH

We are few but erm big…

Come here to discuss the specific issues arising -all the time- from being heavier than the average tri dude…

Like…wheels

Max user weights on even the best wheels are 126kg

Including bike and luggage…

So some of us need not apply…

Er…let’s see…

Currently around 95kg but have been as high as 109kg. Bought a Van Nicholas Euros on Mavic Xyriums (or however you spell it) at my heaviest and it’s been bulletproof. Thrown a few components at it but frame and wheels have never needed anything.

Thank you for rescuing me from starting topic hell!!

I’m bloody massive, currently 120kg but at my lightest I’ll always be 100kg,

Doesn’t ever stop me enjoying this sport.

6 Likes

Enves have no weight limit, neither do Reynolds.

I’m currently around the 177kg. Most I ever was 132. Lowest in recent years was 95.

I am worried about riding the P3 and carbon wheels when om very heavy.

I don’t want to be indelicate, but is that a typo?

1 Like

You fat shaming me? :grimacing:

Yes it is a typo, fat fingers init. 117kg that should read.

9 Likes

I am calling you out IW as your experience is invaluable.

But 132kg…

Man, I’m not even trying…

Anyway, as is it is at present I’m about 120kg, ffs, not on, will lose it but…

As of Monday my dream bike arrives…

Bike max weight 120kg
Wheel max weight is 126kg Including bike and luggage…

Let’s just say I’m having a serious word with myself…

Feel your pain. It’s hard when you are the top range of useable weight. My smart trainer I bought a while back had a max weight of 110kg. I’ve used it plenty with no probs.

It’s very different on a carbon bike/wheels hitting potholes though.

I dont find losing weight hard when I try, but I love food, wine, chocolate etc. Its a mental battle with me.

1 Like

Yep, I can plummet In weight with a focus, but absent of one I soar!!

1 Like

Eek, it’s disappeared, censorship, the bastards are expunging us!!!

Or…there may be a more normal reason…haha…

Here’s my new bike, which I will break quickly thru being a fat bastard, or will tame me like a Wild West bronco and my diet will strictly follow…

1 Like

Sweet ride. You’ll be fine on it.

1 Like

ooo look - a space for us Clydesdales of the tri world.

I’m around 110kg at the moment but even at my “leanest” I was racing at around 95kg - comes from being a retired prop forward (played until I was 40) as you just know you’re never going to be one of the skinny whippets no matter how much you try and lose weight, so you live with it.

I love the way people bang on about bike weight, component weight, aero position etc but when you’re built a brick shithouse and present the aero profile of a transit van when riding, you know you’ll never be at the pointy end.

anyhoo, my racing days are behind me now since I had the stroke a few years ago and the old ticker still ain’t functioning at full bore (waiting to hear on another cardiac ablation) then shouting at you fuckers from the TO sidelines keeps me active.

and back to Clydesdales - that was a good racing category when you could find events that had one (I raced IM Florida in the Clydesdale class and won my age/weight category… :slight_smile: ). even Windsor Tri back in the day ran one. haven’t seen an event that has this for a long time.

3 Likes

I love that I’m never the biggest guy out there. There’s always somebody putting in more effort and despite my size I have it relatively easy being an ok swimmer and cyclist, and I can walk pretty fast too haha. But it’s great that as a sport it’s simultaneously so inspiring, enticing all sorts of shapes and sizes to give it a go but also as addictive as heroin, so when you start it’s only bloody Ill health likely to stop you. And you certainly haven’t given up on the lifestyle; you’re at more events than any of us. But yes I’d love there to be a Clydesdale division at these things. I have no illusions about my place in things…I’ve seen people shoot past me on the bike who make me look svelte, but it’d be good to add that element of competition…

It’d be good to have a space where peeps of a size like this could feel free to come and discuss stuff, but beyond that wouldn’t it be wonderful to have a TT big guys and gals smackdown at an event some time. Maybe actually weight (boom boom) the results so to minimise bike and run difficulty, recognise the sheer effort involved in moving mass…

I did a calculation once and it worked out when I was about 16.5 stone when I ran at 9 min miles I was going 330 watts. No wonder I couldn’t sustain it after a half doing the same…

im 6ft 5. Currently at 90kg, was 101 mid March and before Xmas 106kg. I have lost weight in lockdown because Im eating a proper lunch every day and not drinking beer. At work i would get 800 kcals for lunch easy and still be hungry, now Im eating half the calories but nutrient dense and not hungry. In 2012 when at my fastest I was 82 but I suffered over winter that year, 3 month chest infection it seemed like, although not an infection. The Doc said its just a virus on 2 or 3 visits. I then went back to track riding for a bit and put weight on and was healthier but it didnt stop going up as I started coaching more and training less.

5 Likes