Commuting & Winter Riding Thread

Sounds to me like you need to move :wink:

(When we moved here - Northern had promised to deliver two trains to Chester/Manchester per hour during peak times by 2018. They then ended up cancelling one of the Manchester services, so it now only runs to Stockport, or from there, meaning you have to change and get on an insanely busy train! Chester is still one per hour)

1 Like

My commute is only 3.5 miles each way. I wear a work shirt with shorts or tracky bottoms to cycle and leave my work trousers & shoes at the office. It’s downhill most of the way there so take it easy so as not to get sweaty and coming back it doesn’t matter.
It takes me about 15mins going & 18mins coming back.

2 Likes

Sounds very similar to my commute. Criminal to take a car with those sort of distances. The times I do take a car I feel sluggish all morning.

1 Like

Stealth training, innit.

Perfect for long course training :+1:

Mine is 45km +660m each way, so I’m only doing one way in the dry weather as half distance prep and slotting that in only as it fits my training plan.

My commute is 34km, 27km riding on open road, and final 7km through the centre of Zurich. I have the option of riding over the Albis Pass, a 400m, 8km climb which I often take on the ride home. Door to Desk takes me an hour on the train and around 1h15-1h20 on the bike (including a quick shower)

Riding in the cold seems to require much more energy and takes 5mins longer.

Commuting Bike: BMC Crossmachine
Lights: Moon front and Rear, Cateye Volt 1300 (used on low power unless cycling down Albis, when I use full power), Infini rear led light
Clothing: Merino Socks or Seal Skin socks if damp, Assos Bonka 6 Winter Jacket, Assos Bonka Evo Tights, thermal base layer, Assos Gloves, Lake CX 145 boots

Yeah you might on to something there

Do the Swiss not make lights, then :wink:
(BMC and Assos)

I can understand your reticence. But what is it?

The roads
The weather
The logistics
The constant kit washing
The friendly drivers
Cheating death?

1 Like

Its coincidence, BMC frame I bought from Evans, when they were selling everything off cheap to avoid bankruptcy

The Assos Clothing came from Wiggle. Assos winter clothes do work really well, I guess they are designed specifically for the swiss climate

Not the Swiss wallet? :upside_down_face:

1 Like

The morning commute is fine. But going home fills me with dread - its not the weather. I like cycling in the rain. But after a long day at work I just want to get in a car and drive home. I am lucky that I have a bike store, shower and changing room. If I couldn’t shower at work I dont think I would do it.

I started commuting because my car was becoming very expensive so sold it and plus I was getting up doing 30-60 mins on the turbo, then driving 6 miles to work for my expensive car to sit on the road outside my office all day - it just seemed bonkers. Saves me about £350 a month in petrol, tax and insurance and when I am not training still gives me some active time.

3 Likes

I often feel like that right up until I actually get on the bike and start, once I’m going I really like it and wonder why I was dreading it, until tomorrow when the pattern repeats :thinking:

1 Like

Unfortunately logistics with the kids means we can’t go down to one car; that would save us £50/month in VED mainly; although I am attached to the old thing :roll_eyes: Realistically, going down to owning one car, if my wife got a job with a car, we could sell the family car and get some reasonable £ back for that and keep the (almost worthless) gas guzzler as Dad’s runabout.

On a practical level it’s too far
Typo in my earlier msg. My commute is 30miles not 50.
Probably drivers these days but the aggression in the UK is non existent compared to Oz. I have tried commuting in two different roles in Oz and I hated it.
Partly faff, mostly because I just don’t enjoy it and my work day is stressful enough

I admire all you that do it but it will never be for me. I’m weak. I know!

We traded in my car against a campervan this time last year, just keeping Mrs MC’s car for her every day use (slightly longr commute than me)… for the rare occasions where I need a vehicle, the camper is usable, but mainly I jump on my bike nowadays. Works a treat, and is great for events!

Well, tbf 30 miles is too far to commute apart from the odd good weather training ride during the season!

You’re right, the drivers of this nation are nowhere near as ‘Alpha’ as in Oz or the USA :upside_down_face: Or is that as Bogan?

Definitely Bogan in Oz, usually the standard kit is a pimped up ute with a Southern Cross start decal on the rear windscreen. Bonus points for a flannel shirt and a sticker that says ‘Australia, Love it or f**k off’ :roll_eyes:

That’s exactly what we did, except I had a company car so quit the scheme to get campervan. Use it roughly once a week when I work from a different office and drive straight from there to swimming. The rest of the time we just use the wife’s runabout which will soon be my son’s too.

Depends on the weather really, Friday evenings tend to have the most aggressive drivers, but the most dangerous ride I’ve done was commuting home on the last Friday before Christmas… The number of murder-craving drivers went up tenfold.

3 Likes