Commuting & Winter Riding Thread

You should try getting on the last fast train out of Kings Cross on the last day before Christmas… give me a bike commute anyday!!!

1 Like

I think this thread is missing the point. Outdoor biking is acceptable May to September only. Except in Lanzarote, where it’s ok all year.

MTBs are also OK on the weekends

The rest of the year is for running and Zwift

:wink:

I say this as someone who year-round bike commuted for 5 years. It can be so much a love-hate thing in the winter.

1 Like

pink
Are we in 1989-1996?
You do mean gravel bikes, right?

Or do you still don your SCOTT racing top every weekend and head out to get your shins ripped to shreds on the bear cage pedals?
end of pink

1 Like

Hahaha pretty much

You can get hydrostop pairs, that have a waterproof seal at the top. Needs to go flush to your skin for best effect. They stop the water getting in from the top, and then the rest of the sock can do its job. I have two pairs of them in different lengths.

Tyres: Vitoria Rubino Pro Control G+ 3C 25mm
Love them! Got them on my winter bike and my fixie and they just work (unless you get a pinch flat!)

And we are all in agreement on SealSkinz socks?
They don’t leak when you combine them with…

https://www.merlincycles.com/spatz-pro-cycling-overshoes-104357.html?utm_campaign=googlebase-GB&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=shopping&utm_term=Overshoes+%26+Booties&ucpo=42419&gclid=Cj0KCQiA5dPuBRCrARIsAJL7oegEfV2nw-jN38sm4UghOsmj9hJn13zeBwqw-TQQAMr1qTzoa5ejTMkaAtATEALw_wcB

That wasn’t much fun this morning, not as cold as earlier in the week but a biting head wind all the way. (3C, feels like -1 according to Met office - seems about right)

1 Like

They were called ATBs in the 80s. Of course these days, they just call them Adventure bikes - but they are the same thing :upside_down_face:

£3 from B&Q. Ideal for winter commutes, with added bonus of making everyone’s headlights yellow like France 30+ years ago. Oh, safety rated too :wink:

When I was starting to gather some stuff for ‘shudder’ doing DIY on our house, I bought a pair of safety rated clear glasses for 3.99 from Screwfix. They look ok and I’m sure they’d be good for mtb in winter.

Yes, I have some clear ones too. Commuting is pretty hard on glasses as they get tossed about quite a bit, so for that money these are ideal.

@Poet they look like something ‘for the weekend’, you know for the times when having ‘fun’ in the scullery.

1 Like

He likes to keep his Agent Provocateur stuff in a Goyard tote bag.

ha ha ha - that is for povs :wink: [You know it’s 33% owned by Mike Ashley, right?]
Atelier Bordelle and Coco de Mer for the bourgeoisie

A clubmate has them and they look the business - and keep everything out.

Really, you’re easily exceeding the limit of my knowledge on all things luxury/designer!

Do you get all this from the glossy magazines?

The best bit of winter clothing I own is my club winter jacket, made by ProSport (now taken over by Le Col). The rep said it would keep you warm down to -5 and I didn’t believe him. Last year, I had quite a few commutes where it was around 0 degrees and it was toasty. In fact, anything above 7-8 degrees and I get a bit too warm. Washes up really well too.

1 Like

Shit, I just passed on a club mate selling an old ps winter jersey. Didn’t think they were that good

1 Like

It was 3 degrees this morning, and after 20 mins I had to lower the zip on my Endura Primaloft jacket for the rest of the way.

For me, I think a lot of these winter jackets are only in my temperature range when the conditions are too bad to cycle!

2 Likes

:+1:t2::+1:t2:

1 Like