Commuting & Winter Riding Thread

How mild was it this morning? It was spitting a bit so put waterproof on and was sweating like a pig by the time I got in, and it’s just a gentle 15mins.

5 Likes

I switched to bib shorts on Wednesday.

It is now Officially Spring.

Yes, I know most of you commute in budgie smugglers across the Antarctic but. It’s spring.

7 Likes

Think I just set a record for my slowest ride home ever.
It’s always uphill so can’t blame that, headwind all the way didn’t help but think the final straw was the bag of baking potatoes Mrs J messaged me to get whilst I was in town; adding “not too many, just what will fit in your bag” :hot_face: :hot_face: :hot_face:

10 Likes

Bet you were mashing the pedals with that weight and gradient :hot_face:

6 Likes

Are you using SPuD pedals? :rofl:

4 Likes

It was mayhem in Parliament Square on my ride home tonight.

A group of farmers in tractors seemed to be driving laps of the square to protest against cheap food imports and at the same time, the “Fuck Khan - Stop ULEZ Convoy” was driving through in some of the most polluting vehicles in London :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Tonight was my first daylight ride home in about 6 months, which was lovely :sunglasses:

Today’s “brown shorts” moment happened a couple of minutes from home. I was riding in the bus lane and a car came past me and immediately started indicating left. He clearly didn’t believe in using his mirrors and started to cut across my path, so I swung right to go around him just as he changed his mind, stuck his right indicator on and started to turn right :flushed:.

I’m not sure how I managed to miss him :man_shrugging:

Last night was dark and pouring with rain on my way home. A bloke in a Rolls Royce Cullinan tried to kill me twice on Park Lane. First he pulled out in front of me in slow motion and I thought I was going to leave a whisk-shaped dent in his rear door as I had to brake hard to avoid him. Then at the next turn off he tried to left-hook me and I had to take evasive action again :flushed:.

Just to round off the evening madness, there was a bloke in an estate car who’d managed to drive into the segregated cycle lane opposite Buckingham Palace and didn’t manage to get out of it until he found a gap in the bollards halfway down Birdcage Walk :flushed:.

I missed commuting when I had my 6 weeks off work :roll_eyes::rofl:

12 Likes

Blimey, sounds pretty eventful.

1 Like

TBH I’ve been cycling in London for 25 years and I’m pretty good at anticipating the idiot drivers, so it’s unusual to have so many very near misses in 2 days :man_shrugging:

It’s usually the other people on bikes in the cycle lanes that cause me the most concern :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

My commute is nowhere near as busy as yours @Whisk but blimey, the impatience and really poor driving from a significant minority definitely feels like it’s getting worse.

2 Likes

I had one of those rides that you just know you are riding into the weather. Survived till halfway - then it came sideways; with added sunshine just to make visibility less than ideal.

Amazingly didn’t get to wet going into this upside down cloud formation…

6 Likes

That photo has a very ‘end of days!’ Feel about it.

2 Likes

You should see the town centre :joy:

3 Likes

Probably true with his employer :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Mercury rising fast on the commute here for the last couple of weeks. 33C today riding in ready for the afternoon shift.

8 Likes

Compared to people commuting in wetsuits here :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

6 Likes

New luggage for commute, needed some extra carrying capacity and thought I’d chance a cheapo bag off eBay. £14.15, 11L capacity and fully waterproof apparently, so thought it’s worth a shot.

6 Likes

Anyone commutes with a laptop in a mussette?

Found one I’ve never used and a laptop fits in perfectly. Worried it’ll snap and decorate the road with fragments of motherboard.

1 Like

I’d be worried about that flapping about in the wind :man_shrugging:

It’s been noticeably busier on the cycle lanes since Easter. I think summer is going to be messy with the combination of idiots on bikes and tourists wandering into the road around Westminster and Buckingham Palace :flushed:

It didn’t help this morning that the Mall is now closed for the marathon, so the wave of cyclists that usually comes down Constitution Hill and into the Mall was all being directed via Birdcage Walk. I’’m not sure what’s going to happen tomorrow when all the roads around there are going to be closed :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Block headwind back tonight.
Uphill, with selvedge jeans, on a fixie, wasn’t much fun :rofl::face_with_peeking_eye:

1 Like