Commuting & Winter Riding Thread

4 Likes

That’s more like it Joe, that’s more like it.

:poop::white_check_mark:

3 Likes

Yesterday morning was a grim ride in to the office.

It had dried up by the time I rode home, but my new office had no kit drying facilities, so I had the miserable experience of putting on cold, wet kit for the return journey :frowning:

9 Likes

Same my jersey was drenched, we probably have a similar ride time now.

I’ve been cycling in chinos with a jersey on top though. Had to put up with wet trousers and shoes all morning :upside_down_face:

6 Likes

That wheel should be OK for a few more commutes through London traffic, right? What’s the worst that could happen if your front rim fails mid ride? :roll_eyes::flushed:

11 Likes

Bit of gorilla glue and it’ll last until you retire :joy:

4 Likes

I had a spare pair of wheels in my garage that I’d salvaged from my last fixie when I broke the frame, so I decided to swap both wheels to keep them matching.

That’s when I discovered that the rear tyre was worn through to the canvas :flushed:. I’ve got full length mudguards, so I don’t tend to look at the tyre unless I puncture :rofl:

7 Likes

That’ll buff out no problem!

2 Likes

er

4 Likes

Funnily enough, I didn’t use the front brake much after I realised how bad it was :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

You ride a fixed and use brakes?
Who even are you? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

That’s how I work out that a rim is dead, if I can no longer use the brake :joy:

2 Likes

I think it’s a sign that the rim is dead when the outward pressure from the clincher tyre is distorting the rim outwards :flushed:

4 Likes

That tax refund won’t last long :joy:

3 Likes

Am I being an idiot here?

Fed up of punctures, not even putting heavy duty road tyres on seems to stop them. I think there are 2 things , first a sort of spiky weed on the cycle tracks that the local guys call “puncture weed” and secondly sharp flinty fragments on any sandy sections.

Anyway after finding my front tyre flat yesterday for the zillionth time , I went and bought some 32mm hybrid tyres

trouble is, there is about zero clearance for the forks and brakes

I rode it to work and back yesterday, it rubbed for the first 20km but after that seemed to have worn away the offending bits of tread and now it spins almost freely, but with absolutely no space between tyre and fork.

am I asking for trouble?

On the plus side, it’s quite a rough ride with lots of kerbs to jump on and off and this was nice and comfortable.

edit: if only i’d gone for the disc brake version like quartermaster @mw22 suggested, that has 35mm of clearance apparently

6 Likes

Any grit or crap stuck in the tyre could scratch the forks and reduce the tyres life.

3 Likes

I’m not sure it’s ever a good idea to ride with a set-up where the tyre is touching the frame :man_shrugging:

You don’t need your wheel to go far out of true for that to be a real problem

3 Likes

Is the brake calliper touching the tyre too?

1 Like

That would be too close for me, there’s absolutely no tolerance for wheel flex.

Time to sneak a new blue bike in past MrsFT.

5 Likes