Critique my position/bike/thighs

I have an Xlab Stealth 300 at the moment, but have bought a Forza one to try, as it was reduced to £14.99! You can change the volume by using spacers to make it higher. As with all the plastic/rubber bentos - it’s whether you can remove the contents without destroying it! It would appear Torhans still haven’t got that right, and are using stiff rubber (I had the original Aero Bento and it was fragile & a PITA)

I can see ‘OK’ with it. It’s like you would expect - you don’t get to see a long way up the road with my head like that - but it’s really tucked down, and I can raise my head up a bit when I want to see what’s coming. The helmet is one of Matts - he has a bunch you can try to see what fits you and your position best. I ended up with the Giro aerohead, simply because I think my head will move a round a lot, rather than stay locked in this position. I’ll see if I can find the before / after shots. I can’t recommend a trip to see Matt highly enough

Stem and bars the same - I’ve got the Zipp ones that you can move the angle of the aero bars separately to the base bars.

1 Like

Ladies and gentlemen, I think we have a winner

What’s the competition? Crappest middle aged ex-triathlete? Most-homeless-looking-beard? I could be your man

2 Likes

Folks who’ve posted up here :wink:

Yes, I have those. Way more convenient that all that tilt kit business.

What does he use to establish your FA/CdA?

He’s got a clever system for FA, but swore me to secrecy :slight_smile:

For CdA, you have to go to the tunnel, but I get the feeling he’s done it so many times in there that him doing it with his eye gets you ‘there or there abouts’ - he thought I looked fast though, so it’s just a shame my FTP is basically only just out of double figures these days … I took the position and new helmet out for a test run on my local 10k out and back that I used to train on, and I was 30s faster than my best ever lifetime effort for 30W less :flushed::astonished:

I’d love to go to the tunnel to watch the process one day

2 Likes

Does it involve a photo, some graph paper and a pair of scissors? :rofl::upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Oh my, two aero positions, he has all the answers!

Looks like Roth in the 90s. I bet the position he wasn’t using there was the more effective one. Roth is up & down, so that Obree position would be a bit limited.

A clubmate of mine is coached by Joe Beer and he uses a green screen and digital photography, then looks at the difference in background area from before and after to establish the change in FA. Basically, a digital version of what you describe.

Unless a wind tunnel said otherwise, I feel like the Giro A2 is made for me. Certainly in no hurry to change.

7395_5280-CW_12531_17215598675cff79282ea40

That helmet looks great with your position, Jorgan.

How’s your vision looking through the glasses in the aero position? I always found my vision was blocked by the frame of the sunnies. Sub optimal :0

Vision no issue at all; they are the Radar EV (extended vision) so a bit taller.

I took one of your coached guys to the cleaners; by over 7s iirc :wink:

Ah, I might look into those. Pardon the pun. Whenever I go out on the TT bike I have to wear my TT hemet as well so I can see where I’m going. Which makes me look, ahem, a bit of a chopper.

Nice work at 113. We’ll have to try to arrange a rematch - as close as I’ll get to racing you :slight_smile:

45th-48th all M45 and less than 30s between the lot of us!

Just finished the OxygenAddict episode with Matt Bottrill. Been racing on a roadie with clipons and now I want a TT bike and a fit with him, maybe next bonus.

Rooster you posted the photo post set up by MB but what are the before ones like? Always good to hear Matt talk position and training.

Photo credit: DigiDave S&DW NYD10

Stats: 195cm (shade uder 6"5), 90kg, 61cm Cannondale Slice

I’ve ridden this bike / position for the last couple of years. It’s been in my thoughts that there are probably gains to be made by tinkering with the front end - inspired by Project Praying Mantis / Angling for speed etc and so I’ve been accumulating a box of bits since Christmas. Current set up with maximum spacer stack (comfort, long distance tri / TT), with the extensions set probably more or less how they come out of the box and the pads on their widest fitting. I did have a bike fit once upon a time. Since then, DIY tilted the base bar a couple of degrees, (comfort / handling), this also exaggerates the curve of the bar by the brakes, definitely feel more confident having something to grab hold of / push against when descending.

Own assessment : I look a little cramped? Position seems to have been working OK for me, comfortable, sustainable, ability to put out reasonable power… and from a triathlon perspective, I’ve been able to run well off the bike. Thoughts: angle forearms, bringing closer together, potentially extending reach. Objective: closing off the gaping chasm, currently scooping up air.

If it ain’t broke? Well, where’s the fun in that? This is probably the right time to highlight that I’ve got my A race in 3 and bit weeks (Challenge Roth)! Ideally, I would’ve done this at the start of the year… potentially over winter to allow time to adapt. I’m interested in some input from the wisdom of the internet and then give it a go. I’ve had a play on the turbo but accept there’s a big difference between spinning for 5mins and racing 5hrs+. My final big session will be a metric IM a fortnight out (70mile), if that lives up to expectations, then thunderbirds are go. Any uncertainty, then I’ll probably back track and get it recabled, returning to original set up.

Kit : I originally picked up some pdq bars, highly rated on here. Issue = tapered stem clamp. I subsequently picked up a set of 3T Brezza 2 bars, reservation = narrow risers + proprietary extension clamps is quite restrictive. I’ve gone with a Profile Design Aeria Ultimate stem with integrated hydration system - looks pretty smart. Finished with some aerocoach align arm rests (high sides = greater stability), and some 3D printed risers, courtesy of Kingswann on TimeTriallingForum. USE Tula 50* extensions, reverse mounted.

Concerns : Adapting to this change - particularly ability to sustain over long duration. That said, initial impression is that this might even be more comfortable, relaxing strain across the back plus more natural to drop the head. Handling: This is probably the biggest worry and can’t be replicated on the turbo. Narrow will inherently be more twitchy, hopefully mitigated to an extent by the cupped armrests? The hydration system will also impact handling, both the weight (*I currently use 700ml BTA water bottle) and increased surface area. This will be further compounded by 88 deep front wheel vs above pic - although no issues racing so far over 50 / 100, admittedly in calm conditions.

Click for vids : I’ve had a quick play on the turbo, just to illustrate what it might be like. Alternating natural position vs head tuck. Position likely to be slightly different again once cabled with shifters etc