Critique my position/bike/thighs

Arms up, head down.

Face down, arse up, that’s the way we like to… ride our triathlon bikes :rofl:

Edit: Photo is at the finishing line… I like to think that I hold my head a little bit more out of the wind for the majority of the race, however that pic does tell a tale

Looks similar to my position (albeit that I am around 25cm shorter) but I have a similar “cramped” position. I was thinking about going from a 70mm -6 degree stem to 90mm -17 degree stem in order to get lower and slightly longer.

However, the biggest issue I have with this position is climbing, its OK when seated, but not good standing

Outlaw kindly got some frontish and side shots. Obviously I have a massive gap behind my head, but I do find that helmet comfy.
Any other obvious flaws? This was on the final stretch of Holkham so 55 miles in, so true reflection of actual position I think.

Thanks
Mike

1 Like

the red sock detailing lets the whole outfit down :wink:

1 Like

First time I’ve seen a mixing bowl come with a free visor :crazy_face:

Haha Poet. It’s normally full red socks, so this is progress (aren’t red socks faster!?).
Anything else? I mean even the drive is weed free :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Somewhere between 100-160km on the IM Frankfurt course as I don’t have my repair kit

Your back looks nice and flat. Your head seems very stuck out front, not much of a turtle shrug going on. Other than that, I’m my very non-expert opinion, Looks pretty good.

The curse of a long neck sadly

You changed bike.

I love the aesthetic of the original white Speedmax you have. I have the 2015 version which is basically Darth Vadar’s bike incarnate, but the original is a thing of pure beauty.

Gotta be honest, wandering around transition I was envious of all the newer versions.
Tho a lack of cables here and there makes a huge difference. I’d rather the vader colours :sunglasses:

Position has got better this year at least. Dreams of taking action on bike envy for next year though.

Well, you are either enjoying yourself, or your face was frozen into a rictus smile…

1 Like

Erm…if you’ve rode a 5:30 on that, then you have about 15 minutes available for zero training with some deep wheels, TT lid and tri bike.
Add some smoother roads and 5:05 ish should be nailed on

1 Like

Yes, I was thinking that myself, not being a bike snob or anything, but a lot of (expensive) watts to be saved fairly quickly, even just potentially wheels, helmet and possibly tyres, depending on what they are.

Jeff

1 Like

Wish I’d gone 5:30 but yes same principle that there is speed to be bought. Have done two seasons now so feel I’ve followed the usual advice of give it a try, make improvements through training and make sure you enjoy it first before splashing cash on a new sport. I think my first priority is a power meter as will help me train better too, plus I just want one, but TT bike, wheels, helmet etc are clearly “needed” if I want to compete. How much will those 15 minutes cost, any chance of keeping close to £1000 or likely to need closer to double?

2 Likes

Honestly, if cash is tight, you could do a lot with <£1000. GTN did a show recently about making a custom disc wheel for about £30 in plastic sheets. Probably nets you 80% of the benefit of a real one. Looks a bit meh, but who cares!

Helmet £150

Then the bike… if you can

Did you not ride 5:30 at Outlaw?

I bought my Exocet II last August for £400 off eBay.
My 82-101 wheelset was £225 with tubs, spares tubs and a cassette. Again off eBay.
The Carnac TT lid I use was £15 from Planet X.
Elite Aeron BTA bottle £20 Wiggle
Elite chrono downtube bottle £15 Wiggle
XLab Wing £25 (?) from @PCP
I already had the cages for it, but had to amend those with some sandpaper and inner tubes, so say £40.
XLab aero bento box £25 from Tredz.
Huub DS long course suit £95 from Huub Derby (in person walk in discount)
PowerTap P1S pedals £350

So £1,210 all in.

5 Likes

eBay and some patience will net you a lot!

1 Like