Di2 and Bluetooth

Noob to di2. New shiny bike. Plugged into laptop and everything hunky dory. Confirmed battery us of the Bluetooth variety.
Do you still need another bit of kit to link it up (specifically to garmin)?
I can’t even put it in pairing mode to connect phone on the etube app.
I thought the correct battery was it.
Thanks in advance
Mike

Yes you need the D-fly transceiver!

Yeah, you need the external one that you plug in by the rear mech, or the in line one that you can house anywhere in the sequence. I stuck mine just before the battery in the seat post. The Garmin out front can still pick up the data

Just to be really pedantic, my understanding is that d-fly was the name of the original one, that just output info on ant+. That one isn’t compatible with the new batteries, and can’t do Bluetooth connection to the mobile app to amend setup and and update firmware.

I only say this so the OP doesn’t see an old d-fly unit for sale somewhere, and pick that one up.

You need EWWU111 (the in line one I have) or the EWWU101 (the external one).

2 Likes

Oops! Excellent point mate :+1:t2:

1 Like

Cheers guys.
So the EWWU11 is the newer better option?
I assume its numpty compatible and anyone can just fit it (im assuming between my junction box and the cabling that goes inside the frame)?
Need any other cables?

Why the feck could they have just not inc BT in the unit :weary:

I’ve often thought this.

Could be integrated into the junction box under the bars

Yes. You need at least one short cable for both I think.

DCR has been saying this for a long time. You spend a fortune on a bike equipped with di2…this £50 unit should just be included as standard.

It’s built in as standard with etap

So jc200 junction box into new wire into EWWU11 into current wire.
The main unit is in the handlebar, I really don’t want to be pulling that out. Or is that the norm?

You can put it anywhere. As I mentioned, I put it into the battery, as that was the easiest way to not mess about with exposed wires.

I dont know where the battery is yet :rofl:

Must be tucked inside your seat post

Annoyed at myself for having to ask this, but…

With the bike I just bought having the EW-RS910 Junction A in the end of the bar, having looked at the specs of that new Junction A I saw reference to bluetooth and therefore just assumed it now just built in the functionality of the WU111. But seeing GPLama’s youtube video today, that seems incorrect, as he still inserted a WU111 into the bars in-line with the RS910.

So you need both to get di2 shifting info to your Garmin, and to use the hidden buttons in the hoods of the di2 shifters to change Garmin pages?

What’s the bluetooth functionality of the RS910 by itself? Just battery level on your phone or something?

Edit: You told me all this stuff. Didnt realise it was my post :rofl:

Welcome to hell!!!
I can’t remember what bluetooth does without the EW-WU111 - but yes, if you want to use the hidden buttons and to get Di2 battery on your computer - then you’ll need the EW-WU111 plus an extra wire.
Be prepared to brick your gearing in the process before having to recover it. It was not an enjoyable experience.
However, I do LOVE the buttons - esp with the garmin being out front now on the Canyon (so you get 3 diff options on each button). I do like the comfort of having Di2 battery % showing too.

I didnt try and be clever with the wiring - so mine has just gone under the bars. The unit is pretty small. Would’ve been nice to get it in the frame - but I caused enough trouble getting it working.

Canyon battery is also on the downtube - accessible (or not in my case) by taking the crank out. So when it bricks and people suggest disconnecting the battery… I had to look for alternatives.

Thanks. It was the interaction with the RS910 that confused me. The standard Junction A (3 or 5 port) I have on my TT bike doesnt have any BT capabilities at all, which is why on skimming through I just saw BT in the RS910 tech docs, and therefore assumed they’d now added in WU111 functionality to the newer junction box.

Useful insight into the fact you have a Canyon as well. Did yours come with the RS910 junction box in the bar end as well? Also intriguing to know that the battery is in the downtube. What model bike do you have? Seems rather annoying to place it there in case of any issues.

For me, I’ll probably just put the WU111 in the bars, in-line with the RS910, but that is annoying going to mean having to take off all the bar tape on a brand new bike and kind of defeats the point of Canyon shipping pre-built!

Same as you - Ultimate CF SL - got mine in Feb. And yes, my junction box is in the bar end.
I think you can do the firmware update to the junction box without the extra bit of kit - but none of the stuff you actually want.
Well it might not be in the downtube - but after checking everywhere else - that was the conclusion I got to (and something is in there, there is an access port - but not big enough to be disconnecting and plugging the new part in - from memory).

Cool, thanks for the info.
Just found this video on the Aeroad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APfkNz--t1U
Does the Ultimate have a similar little hatch to access the BB junction box? If so, looks like that might be quite easy?