Discussing the news

I found a bit more info in the Telegraph, seems she was on a boat trip to swim with sharks so had gone 10-20 miles out looking for them when one turned and bit her.
So not exactly minding her own business on a lilo 10m from the beach.

7 Likes

Same as I said yesterday, she was at its dinner table and a sharks gotta eat :joy:

6 Likes

Only one story on twitter this week :joy:

https://guestofaguest.com/london/royal-pains/um-whats-all-this-about-prince-william-and-pegging

:banana:

1 Like

The whole land registry system needs a proper overhaul.

I wonder if the foreign ownership registry will include British residents who have their land held in oversea trusts to avoid paying inheritance tax and the like. It’s how a lot of the landed gentry own their properties.

3 Likes

Fuck that

:rofl:

4 Likes

Far too many old Etonians amongst those land owners for that to ever happen….

3 Likes

1 Like

Small change that

3 Likes

Here’s a nice little infographic from The Express:

“Petrol prices have soared across Europe, but few compare to the UK” (in RED)

Well hang on, what do those numbers say? Prices in Greece, Italy, Portugal, Ireland and Belgium are very comparable to the UK, as they are basically the same.

Prices in Scandinavia and the Netherlands are considerably higher- they should be coloured in RED. UK is mid table so maybe GREY would have been a better colour?

Actually I wonder if they have the UK number wrong- something is off with that graphic though.

9 Likes

Hmm, suspicious about that. The garage across from me in Cologne had diesel at 1.83 euros/litre last night. That’s definitely a fair bit cheaper than the Uk last week. Not sure how much it’s come down since.

3 Likes

Yeah, that definitely doesn’t show our prices massively out of lie with the rest of Europe apart from maybe Austria and Switzerland. I guess that doesn’t follow the paper’s narrative :roll_eyes:

I don’t know how diesel compares, but when the hauliers blockaded the refineries in the early 2000s one of their complaints was that foreign truckers were filling up before crossing the Channel, driving around on cheap fuel and then heading back without paying any UK fuel duty.

3 Likes

It also misses the point that part of the UKs problem is a weak £ against the $, but the € is in a worse state so regardless of any tax or profiteering they will be paying more for the raw fuel.

3 Likes

Diesel is now <184p at Tesco, Asda and Sainsbury’s.
Petrol is <174p at the same, although some small garages are doing it at <170p :+1:t3:

RE: That infrographic.

Surely that’s actual “Fake News”?
Or it’s oldAF :newspaper:

55 litres, £81 = £1.47/litre.

Erm…not sure where they’re filling up?
Maybe they’re buying it from Barry down the Boozer?
Or filling up on red diesel?

EDIT: from 14 countries, we’re joint seventh.

Median: £81
Mean: £81.28
Mode: £80,£81,£82

So, whatever way you cut it, we are smack back average.

4 Likes

That seems to be a quirk of where you live. I was looking forward to cheap fuel when I headed south last week after you posted similar prices. The cheapest I saw diesel anywhere was 191.9 and I covered a fair amount of ground.

3 Likes

I love these eat the rich type stories. In a capitalist market the prime responsibility of the CEO for a publicly listed company is to maximise profits for investors, which he has done spectacularly, so why shouldnt he get paid. Of course most of the uplift in profit has come from selling oil and gas from their drilling operations, not from the consumer at the pump or in their home.

So could they take some of those profits and reduce the cost of petrol? Nope, because government wont let then because its not fair on petrol retailers who dont have drilling rights.

6 Likes

184.7p at Asdas near Thorpe Park is the cheapest I’ve seen for diesel recently, but prices seem to be falling fast.

The Texaco on Southwark Bridge Road is usually one of the most expensive around and it was 191p yesterday. It was 199p 2 weeks ago.

2 Likes

It’s even cheaper at Widnes and Runcorn, next to the Essar refinery.
But Northwich is cheaper than those places, too :man_shrugging:t4:

Do you not use either Confused.com petrol prices, or the PetrolPrices app?

2 Likes

I said in the energy bills thread that prices in MK are consistently higher than elsewhere. There was something in the local paper by a City Alderman who has noticed the same and was calling for trading standards to investigate. When we went to Poole everywhere was cheaper than MK.

2 Likes

More of a general observation really. I suspect cities are the cheapest and I rarely pass through them. This trip was a little different in that I had to go into central London, but as @GRamsay says, his neck of the woods isn’t cheap either. Aylesbury, Wendover, Amersham, West/central London etc, all considerably in the mid 190’s including supermarkets.

3 Likes