Discussing the news

A cob is a breed of horse.

Fact

2 Likes

An oggie is a Pasty in Devon/Cornwall, not bread!

1 Like

I call it a bun and I’m not Welsh :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

a bap is the larger round thing, a roll is crusty. A muffin is a cake, Oggy is a defender for West Ham and a bin lid is what scouser lifts up to get their food that day :wink:

4 Likes

Butteries are not bread rolls. That would be softies.

We use bun but only for the sweet variety like an iced bun.

Oh. My. Days.

What can have I opened here :joy:

I worked in a chippy in tawd Whitby for five years, so have heard every single name for them.

Then off to uni and hearing every name for them yet again.

I’m not even sure what I call them now :joy::person_shrugging:t3:

I do know one thing, though;

Asking for a “sausage roll” when you mean a couple of sausages in some form of bread is just plain wrong.

There are also no “baps” on that image.

4 Likes

Bacon, sausage or egg going in. Then it’s a bap. For example, a Breakfast bap.

If it were cheese or tuna or something. Like a lunchbag type snack. Then it’s a roll.

1 Like

But how do you make a tuna roll? :fish:

:joy::joy:

Tuna roll = :sushi:

This is a cheese roll;

4 Likes

Not fact. Not really a breed but a type that includes a variety of breeds. For everyone else, a heavy set type of horse or pony. There is a Welsh Cob that is a breed of pony. If you have been to riding school, most of the ponies and some of the horses could probably be described as cobs, although I doubt they’re Welsh Cobs.

On the breads as well as teacake for a bread roll there is also breadcake in Yorkshire. Does my head in.
Me: toasted teacake
cafe person: currant?
Me: shove off, of course it has currants in, otherwise it’s just bread and not a teacake, LOVE!

4 Likes

Haha. I was going to write ‘specifically Welsh Cob’ but that felt a little pedantic and nobody would notice!. But then you clearly won that one! :joy: :joy:

3 Likes

Alright Michael Whitaker!

2 Likes

you only have to read this to understand that you’d be better off finding an alternative report on the subject…

Edited: it was the sub-heading i wanted to highlight but it didn’t quote…

Incorrect - it’s also ‘a roll’ in Glasgow - particularly a morning roll ( Morton’s ) so people ask for a roll with sausage, or an roll an’ bacon. Or a roll and tattie scone. Bap?! Don’t make me laugh

If you live in Finnieston then it’s Ciabbata lol

1 Like

Man learns to swim

1 Like

Wouldnt fit into IMJ then

1 Like

Also known as a P@ki Roll in some circles up there…

1 Like

:hushed:

Next week - man learns a language.

& orders food at a local French bakery, while on holiday ‘… I know it sounds strange but I’ve always had this natural fear of the French. But, I applied myself, and finally - I bought a cake without them looking at me scornfully’

2 Likes

I always try to speak a little bit of the local lingo when abroad. I find the French go either way, really helpful or pretend they dont understand you.

Asked a waiter where the toilet was, he replied jn French. Didnt understand a word so just had walk round till i found it.

1 Like