Double session day

My best bet for getting everything in is a couple of double training days. These will probably be strength work + running or swim + running.
Which order? Science based of just personal preference is fine… :+1:

For me. depends. If the pool is walkable distance, I can swim in the evening but if it’s not, then unlikely to happen once work is done.
I can run most times of the day but prefer early, mainly to avoid people,

Mentally, a swim can be more frustrating at night if the lanes are crowded etc, especially if you’ve had a bad day at work. I used to belong to a private pool, which was way better.

1 Like

Whatever fits in with the rest of your life the best, or whichever you enjoy the most.

Other than near immediate sessions, I really don’t care, unless they’re hard efforts and immediate then I need to run before cycling as otherwise my ability to pace the run to my energy reserves goes out the window and I “bonk”.

2 Likes

Agree completely with Jim. I don’t think the order makes much difference generally, other than I struggle with any subsequent session, even much later in the day if the first session is a hard run.
For me a hard run is one with any significant amount of speed work in it… i’m fine with a long slow run, but if I do intervals for example, or hill reps, then it needs to be the second session, or the second session ends up being really poor quality.

1 Like

Strength work should always be 2nd. Cardio work is unlikely to impact strength work, but strength work will mess with your cardio.

As for order of the cardio work, not sure there is much science behind which is best. For me in the past swimming was always done first because that’s when the lanes were available.

ETA when I was training hard I used to do 2/3 double days a week, with no probs

1 Like

Swim then run

If strength is conditioning then it doesn’t much matter but I’d do it after. If it’s heavy lifting, then I’d run am, lift at lunch and give yourself 16hrs before the next swim or run.

Double days are great - and sequence depends what your objectives are…either s/b/r because that’s how you want your fatigued muscles to fire or high intensity first followed by easier stuff…

But as @GRamsay says, strength can mess with your cardio…

4 Likes

Weekends are double days for me with a ride or Zwift race a small break and then 10 x 2 min hill reps.

1 Like

Most days for me are doubles

Generally swim or run in the morning due to time before work, bike in the evening

2 Likes

Like @funkster most days are double days for me. Not in any order either

If running I always prefer swimming before as I always seemed to cramp in an evening swim when i ran at lunchtime. Other than that you are a triathlete so maybe triathlon order…but for most of us whatever is easiest for you to fit in.

2 Likes

Regarding swimming, or will be when ever I can get in, and other stuff will have to fit around it. I need to increase my running, so will be mixing that with strength work and possibly turbo sessions too.
Running after turbo is a no brainer, but I’ve been running after a strength session too, which is more of a leg recovery than anything. I’ll run this morning, do strength circuit later today and see how that works out.

1 Like

The other thing I found with double days was what you do the morning after is more important. If I’ve hit an interval run sessions and some weights and try and swim the next day that is a one way ticket to cramp.

1 Like

Next block of my plan are all double days mon-fri
AM PM
Mon Swim Tempo/Strength/Threshold Bike
Tue Aerobic Run Progressive Run
Wed Steady Bike Aerobic Run
Thur Swim Sweetspot/Threshold Bike
Fri Steady Bike Aerobic Run
Sat structured long bike
Sun long run

1 Like

If it’s relevant I’m doing:

M/Tu/Th/F
AM: Swim or upper strength and core
Lunch: Bike structured
PM: Run easy

W
AM: Heavy lifting
PM: Short, easy run

Sa
Long run

As I’m off work and bored I’m trying not to add more, but some outdoor easy bikes could be on the cards

Hear, hear.

2 Likes

calf muscles and feet?

2 Likes

FWIW, whenever I have had a paid coach double session days have always been either swim am/ run pm or a double bike day. The only exceptions are are brics, which aren’t really double days, just bike/run in one session, and afternoon recovery swims.

1 Like

No rest day?

Yeah, although I will admit I haven’t tried swimming after run or bike since I started calf stretching, squats and dropping the heel on the turbo - which tends to help me from running injuries to the calf.

1 Like

No. Its not for everyone but works for me. I tend to do bike early a.m Saturday then its at least 24hours until run.
Up to now Tuesday Wednesday Friday have been double days whilst no swimming but we’re adding in the swims Monday Thursday and see how we get on as I want to keep at least the run volume up as its come on so well
All under the watchful eye of Russ Cox

2 Likes