DUATHLONS

Yep - spoke to James this week who said they’re putting a few more races up on their website for booking over this week and next. Running and Dus. I’ve just signed up to the local 5 miler because I’ve never raced that distance before and want to get a PB in 2020 :grinning:

2 Likes

You will realise why afterwards…

1 Like

painful? Surely it’s easier than a 10k?

:zipper_mouth_face:
You’ll run it at 5km pace, then feel really bad after 4 miles.
Or that’s just me.
They’re proper hard

I have no idea what my current 5k pace even is, been so long since I raced one of those. Aiming for somewhere around 33 mins I guess. I’ve never gone under 20 for a 5k so 32 is out of the question.

1 Like

i despise 10kms, so as @Poet said i think an 8km race will be even worse!!

Saying this…you can do a proper threshold running pace test in a five miler.

First ten minutes hard.
Last 20 minutes flat out 5km pace.
The HR and pace over those last twenty minutes should be your threshold :+1:t3:
Which then makes your mile repeats proper savage :rofl::see_no_evil:

Which reminds me of the Worst session I ever did;

5 * 1 miles at 6:00 with 2:00 walk recovery.
It was dark, 6-7am, before work, no breakfast.
I remember being a little bit sick against the perimeter fence at work (the site was 1 mile around, so beautiful for repeats!) after I’d finished.

2 Likes

Unfortunately it’s a bit too far for me to go regularly but hopefully it will provide some decent races for people.

1 Like

Clumber Duathlon yesterday which was my first and last one of the year.

It flowed very nicely and the change of venue worked well. Must say preferred the off road run to the route at clumber park. The bike route pretty much the same.

Hopefully there’s more of this next year

5 Likes

Next year…?!

Oulton park … Nov 29 th…!

Confirmed I believe.

There’s a bike race too for all the non runners.

Brrrrrrr!

1 Like

Is there anyone that has done Powerman Alsdorf in the past ? I’m looking for pointers regarding both the course and where you stayed etc

https://www.strava.com/activities/2288551715?fbclid=IwAR0KY3tpMw5sulEertIeS0p9WrJUSQTKvZRUj8e8ol23LIBQ_HTIpCwtou0

1 Like

Congratulations @leahnp - silver yesterday in Targu Mures :uk:

5 Likes

Didn’t realise that, top bombing @leahnp

Got a couple of friends doing the sprint Duathlon tomorrow

4 Likes

I’m watching it tomorrow before heading back should be good fun and a technical course for once …
Could be carnage if it is wet due to the cobbled surface

Enjoy, my mate is going for podium in M50, he’ll be trying to escape, or at least put down some hurt, on the bike.

1 Like

Well done @leahnp. Flying!

Chapeau!

Glen Clova Extreme Duathlon today 24/9/2022

Well firstly it’s not that extreme, unless Mountain Rescue Paul, the organiser means the scenery.

Lovely weather for today and what a stunning location for this (reverse) duathlon.

Bike about 17 miles around the Geln Clova loop. Fine South ride but then North into a headwind I was nearly crying and reduced to a slower pace… I really do need to increase my power (which ever one it is that enables me to not whince at a strong headwind).

Run about 9 miles over 2 munroes Mayar and Driesh. I was ok running up the first track in the woods, but when it came to the steep steps I nearly died, hardly any energy, passed by loads and to be honest, felt a bit dejected. Luckily I had a chat with myself, there was deffo not going to be a DNF. The views were stunning of Cairgorms and surround, maybe that’s the exteme bit. I was ok on the gnarly (good word!) descent down the Shank of Drumfollow. Did start to feel some slight twinges of cramp in left vastus medialis which was not a good sign, especially as I’d already ingested far too many salt tablets.

The bike, nice 4 mile pootle back to the start/finish crying with said cramp and going very slowly to not trigger it too much. Found that standing up on the bke helped. Very annoyed.

I was quite happy with my time of around 3h41 , 73rd/124 finishers (despite today’s new record time being 2 hours18 mins blimey). As an unfit 58.5! year old, my aim was to be in before 4 hours.

Would deffo recommend for any hill/fell runners and anyone wanting a quirky low key event. All proceeds go to the Mountain Rescue which is nice.

ps just remembered, I don’t do any training whatsoever of climbing steep steps, I just run up hills.

ps1 just remembered I’m a hefty 72kgs this year unlike previous years at 66/67

ps2 no more excuses

16 Likes

Fun morning in St Andrews for the Scottish Duathlon Championship. After last week’s disappointment in Bilbao at the ETU Multisport champs ( 5th AG & 24th overall I had the fitness but not the descending skills required to find the 60 seconds to podium).
I wanted to end the season with a podium of some sort.
As the race was on the St Andrews University campus the race was stacked with the competitors from most of the Scottish Universities and Triathlon Scotland development squad😱.
The championship was held over the sprint BUSA distance which does me no favours as I like a long suffering run and a good TT to break up the field.
5km split between footpath and running around the football pitches, got dragged along to clock 16:51 for 8th into T1 out of T1 in 5th and was 1st on the bike by 5km. The course is basically a 24km rolling out and back with hill thrown in for good measure. 16mph headwind out rewarded my with an awesome tailwind clocking 66 KPH on the way back on the flat.
I then saw the development squad lad leave T2 as I was making a break on the main road and held him off for over a Km and then couldn’t close the gap at the finish to trail in by 15s with a 9:42 for 2.5km and 1:08:12 overall, I discovered he is 30 years younger than me. So 2nd overall and 1st 45-49 and Scottish Champion for the first time.

25 Likes