@Enduroman Arch to Arc

Well, it is getting close now (6 weeks), and so i thought that I would go live…

The final big training session…8 hours run/walk around Windermere, 8 hour swim tomorrow and then a 4 hour bike to round it off…

Paul swam the channel a couple of years ago which i thought would make coaching an Enduroman easier, but this has been every bit as tough as preparing #43 Daniel Coughlan Arch to Arc Triathlon

Paul is out in the rain now getting in the final miles…

Tentatively, we are looking at the non-wetsuit record…but environmental factors will play in to this…

30 Likes

Final big training weekend done…

8 hour run/walk…

9 hour Windermere swim - 27,000m

2 hour hilly bike

15 Likes

9 hours in Windermere without a wetsuit? :cold_face:

Lordy-O

6 Likes

You don’t get the non wetsuit record by wearing a wetsuit…

17-18C yesterday

8 Likes

A2A is quite some event. I love how the timing has to be done to set off on your run and aim to pace it so that you arrive in Dover to get enough rest and time the weather and tides correctly to start the swim at the ideal time (ie., when the boat pilot tells you!)

I was on a boat crew for a friend who attempted the event in 2011. It just wasn’t her day(s) but I’m in awe of those who attempt and those who complete it.

Hope the remainder of the training goes well.

8 Likes

Thank you. Week 45 of 50…

the last four weeks of swimming have been 27k, 28.5k, 29.5k and 35.5k

10 Likes

That answered one of my questions. The other was what is the average weekly training hours for A2A? I know this will change depending on the athlete, injuries etc but just wondering the ball park?

I love this event too, will be following along. Good luck jc.

2 Likes

Don’t know why, but heard about A2A as a young kid before I followed any kind of triathlon and fell in love with the idea. Out of reach of 99.9% of us but enormous respect for anyone able to even attempt it, the life organisation etc

If you can encourage the athlete to write a blog/AMA, or permission for you to share stories here I’d be fascinated.

5 Likes

We eased him in on 12 - 15 hours…have been running at 18-22 for a couple of months with some spikes in the high 20s and one week of 30 hours…

This has flexed as work, illness and domestic pressures have taken their toll…

4 Likes

he is sharing on @arch2arcjourney on Instagram…

he would claim to not be an athlete…

3 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Thanks for the link. That swim (and weekend) looked mental. Well done to him and those all around helping and supporting.

1 Like

I had no real idea but equally I’m not surprised by those numbers. When you add in recovery hours that’s some commitment for a non full-time athlete. As Chris said, serious kudos to anyone attempting it.

2 Likes

good luck with the weather g0dz m8ie !!

2 Likes
3 Likes

Simulation weekend…

5 Likes

We have a good date for Paul’s attempt…with a call forward sometime w/comm 9th Sept…should be able to make the best of the tides…

Alongside this, i have another athlete with an August 2025 date waiting in the wings…

9 Likes

The planning continues…

10 Likes

Well done…

Who’s Pappa Smurf?

3 Likes

:slight_smile:
That’s harsh…

on paul…

1 Like