Etymology - colloquial phrases etc

Yes, the amount of slang and colloquialisms in the military is so huge, I wouldn’t know where to start. I’m going to have to chin that off, and get a brew.

1 Like

That is used as a punctuation mark by many indian sub continent people in africa…and despite it being very common, i always find it hard to remember an example because it sounds so alien to me, but it is something like…

“I really enjoyed that meal, isn’t it”

1 Like

I’m guessing that’s where the modern ‘init’ or ‘innit’ comes from.

1 Like

have you never come across Talk Tidy?? it’s a dictionary of Wenglish words (mangled Welsh and English) put together by John Edwards. there used to be a website called talktidy.com but it’s no longer in use (domain is up for sale) which had the whole thing online but the books are still for sale on Amazon. the best I could find online now is this:

“Tidy” is a classic Wenglish word - means great, fantastic, brilliant etc…

there are also phrases that only native Welsh use like

“who’s coat’s that jacket?”
“I’ll do it now in a minute”

and from home area in Gwent - the double use of “do” in a phrase like “I do do this” - bonkers really but common.

and gambo. a Gwent word for a soapcart that kids make out of timber and pram wheels - the word originally was the name of a wooden farm cart for hay.

Like the use of the word like for Teessiders, although that has partly spread elsewhere as well I think now. Me is another common sentance finisher, as in - “I wouldn’t dare me”, or “I like that me” when it’s a meaningless last wrod.

Lots of other word swaps used in Teesside, but the majority of language difference is just shortened way of speaking, being devoed over nowt.

3 Likes

I moved to Leeds for uni, and apart from in shops, bars and clubs most of the people I interacted with where from the uni. I like it so stayed and got a job to pay bills while waiting to get a proper ‘job’. I was outside waiting for some work mates. This guy comes up to me and asks me ‘where does that ginnel go?’. I told him I don’t know what he’s talking about. He was getting quite angry until I explained I have no idea what a ginnel is.

I asked for a ginger cake in a bakers and was told they had parking, OK, I’m taking the bus, now about that ginger cake. She points to the parkin. :rofl:

3 Likes

Just rememberd when I first moved up here and was getting a bus into uni. When I paid the bus driver says ‘thanks love’, I looked around to see who he was talking to.

Playing for a local Saturday league footy team, crunched this lad. The tackles you used to be able to do where you get the ball then clean out the opponent. Manager shouts ‘great tackle love’ :laughing:

I had a mate from Liverpool (UK) in Sydney, he used to be the RN and he used to called meals ‘scran’.

I’d never heard that term before and had forgotten all about it. then a couple of years ago, a motorbike channel I watch had a series called ‘Biker Scran’.

They use scran for food around here (Leeds) too.

1 Like

When we first moved to UK, I was trying to get jobs locally in Somt, even though they were lower paid. I had an interview at a place called ‘Compushare’ or something like that. (Aussie firm I think). They had offices near Bristol airport direction.

Their offices were really plush, ultra modern reception and I walked in all togged up and looking ‘pro’ and the reception asked me:

"Alright my lover, what can I do you for?’ :laughing:

5 Likes

Long distant memory of an Aussie comment from a chap I worked with, could be wrong/bullshit - Buckleys - no chance, as in you’ve got Buckleys of going sub-12

Used to work in Cradley Heath (not going to call it Black County in case it upsets people) was fine talking to people from the printers face to face but was scared to death of having to call them, managed to pick up maybe 2 out of 3 words at best

1 Like

Yes, and the Navy/Marines call brews ‘wets’.

That’s really really common. I’ll confess to not having a clue where it originates from but I think the full saying is ‘You’ve Buckley’s chance or none’. (meaning the same thing)

1 Like

Mrs GB couldn’t understand a word the taxi companies said when she rang them in Swansea!! She’d make me book it every time!

Butt is the other sentence ender in South Wales.

‘Where’s that to?’ is very Devon.

Alright butt? aka “hello”

sorry, yes not a sentence ender. I was distracted whilst typing!

see also: ‘no way butt!’

1 Like

Sorry, what with the Stourbridge Stagger and now this, it’s turning into all our yesterdays! My dad worked at Cradley Print from school until his retirement.
No-one should be offended by the term “Black Country.” A local MP tried to ban it’s use a few years ago, saying it was racist (there is a high percentage of ethnic minorities there these days), she had to be educated on the background.
My understanding is that it comes from Queen Victoria who travelled through the area by train and commented that it was black by day and red by night due to all of the foundries and smelting works belching fire and smoke into the air. Many houses had a small foundry at the bottom of the garden where wives would make small chains & nails during the day whilst their husbands were at the big foundries.

1 Like

Yes, my wife used to goad me for that. I think I stopped quite a long time ago now; not lived there since the late 90s!

The bigger concern for me, is when does me saying ‘Gert Lush’ cease to be ironic, and signals my assimilation to the local borg?

2 Likes

Reminds me of another Dorset old timer talking about his wife who was confused:

“She don’t know where she’s at, and she don’t know where she’s to.”

Sadly I think they are a dying breed and we’ll be poorer for it.

2 Likes

Hello small world!

They were our printer of choice for a number of years, I worked with them around 88-92

1 Like