Europe's on fire - coping with heat

Can you get long sleeved suit that protects from the sun and makes you cooler through better evaporation?

I suppose so, but the thought of covering up skin surface area, I think might be worse for me than getting airflow over my skin directly (while also applying water / ice etc.

1 Like

Yes.

Torbjorn Sindballe used to wear a full length white suit.
Google him and how he coped with the heat.
He was a big big unit at 80-90kg and 190cm.

1 Like

I like it when it’s warm and sunny, although TBH I’m pleased I didn’t get approval for IM France until it had moved through a few tiers of entry fee rises and I didn’t want to pay it, with the temperatures forcasted for this weekend. The weather being so relatively cool over here doesn’t help.

Are arm-coolers still a thing?

I had a pair of Craft ones I used on the bike & run at IM France which helped hugely in the heat of 2010. I poured water over them whenever the opportunity arose.

Pommies talking about ‘heat’ = :laughing:

1 Like

It is all relative, though.
Like Englanders talking about snow to New Englanders.

For this country, at this time of year, it is eye meltingly hot.

haha yeah, I’m only messing about. In my ultra last week, I couldn’t tell how hot it was, I felt hot but I was running/walking. The forecast was for 17-18 but my mates said it was more like 26.

It’s a funny thing about heat, it isn’t the crazy hot days that get you. (46C is the hottest I remember in Sydney one year), it’s not the racing in hot or even hot on holiday.

What really grinds you down is the week after week of moderate 35C temps but having to commute, work, sleep, get kids to school and deal with Xmas. That can grind you you down, especially as the weather doesn’t ‘break’ like it will after a week or so here, it just goes on.
Waking up and already breathing air that feels second hand, then putting on a shirt and tie and standing on a bus with 100 others at 7.30am and it’s already 30C. That gets old, real quick.

Doing leisure things by choice in any heat, is by comparison, a piece of piss because it’s not real life.

3 Likes

Oh, how quickly some have forgotten the Summer of 2018 :slightly_smiling_face:

I know the feeling FP is describing; I was living in a tent somewhere a bit sh!t when temperatures were pushing 50 by the time I departed. No aircon in the tents, the ac unit in the building where I worked kept breaking, the power cuts got more frequent as the summer got hotter. I can remember almost falling asleep at my desk, getting up and having bits of paper stuck to my sweaty forearms.

I see the mercury is due to hit 21 in Northampton today :rofl:

Back in Cheshire today, pressing F5 LIKE A BOSS, for those damn shoes for tomorrow…

Due to hit 26 on Saturday at yours then. I’d book your flight to Cork now if I were you :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Yeah Jorgan, it’s not pretty sometimes. Amazingly, outside of Sydney CBD, not all buses had a/c (they probably do now) most houses only have it in one room and many many flats don’t have it all in Sydney (a/c and humidity don’t play well, or didn’t when a lot of the places were built).

Regarding tents, now I hate camping and don’t mind admitting. I only do it if there is a reason (like a remote surf break). In my ultra last week, the half way point denoting ‘base camp’ for the folks doing it over two days. I reached there about 1pm and it felt hot then.
The beer tent had some shade and a couple of food tents but otherwise it was row after row of tents in a shadeless field. Knackered as I was already, I was very glad I wasn’t having to hang out there, they must have been like greehouses!

Digging over the garden borders on Saturday, after testing the Next% at parkrun, with lots of Peroni for hydration.

Sunday is a 112 mile ride in the cooler temps.

My wife and a few others are doing the Cotswold Way Challenge on Saturday (50km route from Bath to Wotton). I think the 28 that’s forecast is also a nightmare for her. At least it comes right past the house around 30k in, so lots of water, encouragement and a clean toilet available :crazy_face::rofl:

I need to make a ‘tap for power’ sign and sort out some phatboi choons.

4 Likes

Sounds good that!
Day of the 113 there was some ultra race on near Stroud, to a castle or something?
Saw a few of the finishers hobbling around some services on the M6 in their “hero” t-shirts :wink:

Here in Zurich, my bike commute to work was 27 degrees at 0730 this morning. Due to hit 36 this afternoon, so will be a hot ride home

Health and Safety sent a message advising people not to run at lunchtime

Swam in lake yesterday evening, water temp was 25 degrees - without wetsuit it felt really warm

2 Likes

Probably Race to the Tower, that’s the first in the 3 ‘Race to’ series. It’s pretty hilly and meant to be the hardest of the three. If it was a Sunday though, the folks you were seeing were the people that did it over two day. No different in their ‘hero’ shirts and an IM shirt IMO.

I was pretty proud to earn my Race to the King shirt on Saturday and don’t mind admitting.

2 Likes

I don’t wear event t-shirts immediately after races.
Just my decades old pyjama bottoms and paint splattered TTMan top. :rofl:

Ah i see what you mean now. No, I don’t do that either. I was in the pub straight after with some friends. I think the running shorts and the fact that I stank might have been a give away though. :smile:

1 Like

Nice :ok_hand:t4::+1:t3:
AliB did that after Cork.

My return race at Clitheroe over Easter was eye meltingly warm, too. We hit the local pub up after the race and it was full of slightly lardy shaven legged triathletes :see_no_evil:

1 Like