Everest record gone again

That would make a big difference to the mileage you would need to cover, the time it would take & the gears you would need. You can just gear for the gradient, something as steep as this you could forget pedalling on the descent & go with just a couple of gears on the cassette, go one by & ditch the front mech for some marginal gains. I’ve not thought about it at all haha :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’ve not thought about the options of 200+ miles of 5% or a lot less of a 10-12% at all…

But, as you get more tired it’s much harder to keep pushing up a really steep hill. Was thinking about this a lot when I did my vk on the weekend. When you do a running one, you can walk a lot when you’re tired. But on a bike, you have a minimum power you have to put our before you fall off your bike! :joy:

I guess there’s got to be a sweet spot. Mine was 13% average gradient, but it kicks over 20% a few times and is only 160m elevation. Guess if you’re in the mountains you can do longer slower climbs and then whizz down the other side, which is tough down here where the climbs are short and sharp.

We’re thinking about putting on a 6 hr (and maybe next year 12 and maybe 24) running challenge up and down this hill. It’ll be seriously tough. But the running Everest does have a weird appeal deep down in my fiery competitive pit!

2 Likes

Looked at the running one, just need to find someone to keep driving up and down the hill to give me the return journey, definitely generous letting you do that but sensible for taking care of the knees

It’s a vicious hill and was 30 degrees when she did it. Not only did she do the Everest, she also set a QOM on the second climb, now that is showing off.

I wonder if this will set a new model for Everesting, it was much steeper and shorter than other attempts. The biggest issue for me is that each climb had 900m elevation, that’s a really big climb, and the steepness of the descent doesn’t give a whole lot of recovery

1 Like

With running steep seems to be fastest- this article says WR for vertical km set on a course which has 1000m elevation in 1.9km of running :fearful: :fearful: :fearful:

"## How long should a Vertical Kilometer take me?

If you’re the Vertical Kilometer World Record holder, Kilian Jornet , or another super-hardcore uphill mountain runner, then you will be able to run a VK in less than 40 minutes! The current (as of 2017) men’s and women’s World Record holders are Urban Zemmer (29m42s!) and Christel Dewalle (34m44s) respectively, who both set these times on the steepest course, in Fully, Switzerland, in 2014."

2 Likes

:face_vomiting:

3 Likes

ABSOLUTELY THIS!
Also, you can whack the 25/27/28 right in the middle of the sprocket, sticking the 11/12/13/14 at one side, then the 17-20 on the spoke side.
Keep that drive train efficient with no chain crossover :slight_smile:

You only need one cage, as all of your drinks are at the car at the bottom.
As is your spares kit (lets be honest, if you flat, then it’s just about game over anyhow)
Take that bar tape off the drops - you’ll only need it on the tops.
Then just sit at home and wait for a tailwind up your chosen hill.

4 Likes

Yep, forgot to mention spacing the 3 gears out on the free hub for optimal chain line :+1:
Probably depends on the length of climb but I was thinking of picking up the right amount in a bottle at the top turnaround and downing it on the descent as easier to cosume with lower hr and not carrying the weight on the ascent.
Needs some trialing I guess.

1 Like

I know Emma’s coach, Tim.
I’ll ask him for some tips :rofl::see_no_evil:

Daylight is running out now and I didn’t bother losing any weight for Bolton once Covid hit, so I’m still 83kg :pig::elephant::whale2::beers:

Having said that…I’m doing Holme Moss on Sunday.
Just to gauge that as a venue. Having last rode it back in 2008 when I was young and thin!

I’ve done Snake Pass from Glossop recently, which seems like it’d be good, especially the pubs in Glossop.
Winnats is too hard, as is Peaslows.

Cat and Fiddle is too long and too much descending per ascent too.

Anyways, I don’t wanna do one now everyone is :see_no_evil::wink:

1 Like

There’s an episode on Everesting at the Marginal Gains podcast btw. Didn’t agree with all of their thinking though, like the one by option.

All my knowledge is from GCN when Oli did it and the more recent trenching episode.
Then mashed into their how to take a Strava KoM and weight saving tips.

1 Like

Snake is not steep enough IMHO. Holme Moss would be better as I always find that a tough climb.

1 Like

Locally I think the climb from the Goyt Valley dam to (almost) the top of Long Hill would work pretty well, 136m up in 1.8km. 65 reps :scream:

1 Like

SWINO to that!
I hate it that way :wink:

You been down The Street recently? (Windgather to Goyt descent)
The potholes on there are crazy bad

Not for a while, but they seemed to make it worse when they did some patches of resurfacing last year (or the year before, can’t remember) :man_facepalming:

yes, it’s those.
The Covid furlough day trippers and recent bad weather have just washed it all away and there are now foot deep trenches just before the corner at the bottom.

Anyway…
…any other local hills you can think of that might be good?
There’s the one from Leather Smithy up to St Stephens in Macc Forest, but I’m sort of at a loss for anything else without a crazy descent (Sheffield Road from Chapel to Rushup Edge might be good)

Mam Nick?

Peaslows from Chapel to Sparrowpit?

https://www.strava.com/segments/20103129

173m in 1 mile

1 Like

Are you insane!?? :wink: (joking)
It’s 41 ascents - the start part is horrific from Barber Booth, the first 100m or so are 18-21%
The descent is too hard for me

https://www.strava.com/segments/20145940

Peaslows
59 times, 179km
https://www.strava.com/segments/6820268

Swiss Hill (Cobbled)
201 times, 181km
https://www.strava.com/segments/3522907

Snake Pass
26 times, 317km !!!
https://www.strava.com/segments/612981

Holme Moss (from Holmfirth)