Everest record gone again

Probably not

You could take your Garmin of the bars and hold it above your head at the top of the climb to get an extra metre or two each rep :joy:

5 Likes

Bit late to the party, but just watched this. Many thanks for posting.

1 Like

Just had some marketing gumpf from Trek. Their new high-end road bike claims to save 18s per hour on an 8% gradient over the old bike. By my calculations that would be about 3 1/2 mins on an Everest attempt. I suspect pretty marginal gains in real life riding though - how often are you likely to climbing for more than an hour with all other excess weight eliminated?

It may have been invalidated as a record, but for those interested in seeing the data / numbers needed to achieve something like this: https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/see-lachlan-mortons-record-setting-everesting-attempt/

3 Likes

4.6W/kg normalised, for 7 and a half hours.

:scream:

I went and did some reconnaissance-ing today on the hill I would use. First time on the road bike this season. What a joy! I did some high powered stuff before getting to the hill. Thereā€™s a first summit and a second summit after a short flat bit. Better parking after the first summit to be fair. Full blitz mode I did the big climb in 4:15/360W/318ft and the ā€œweeā€ hill in 3:27/360W/259ft. In fairly slow mode I did the big hill in 7mins/200W and the wee hill in 6mins/196W. The big descent was about 2:25 and the wee descent about 2:10. At the bottom you can do a dead turn before the roundabout or go around the roundabout which takes 20 seconds longer but means no big stops and no spikes getting back to speed. Iā€™d be looking about 100 reps. Iā€™d be nowhere near 10 hours. It would be a very very long day outā€¦ such an unknown too. May need to try doing 30 reps or something to seeā€¦

4 Likes

On again

5 Likes

Insane. Just checked the ride out on Strava, and the ride was 7:44 but apparently included an extra lap for safety after last week. Waiting for the official time, but should be a new record.

I think heā€™s done by 5 minutes!

1 Like

So everesting is now just something he does each weekend!?! Mental

2 Likes

Seems like it. I really like the guy, he doesnā€™t pigeon hole himself.

1 Like

Bonkers ride twice in one week

1 Like

This guy is just ace!

120kph on every single descent pretty much.

I wouldnā€™t have anything like the size of cojones to descend that fastā€¦

1 Like

She was supported by several members of our club. Amazing achievement, she is in great shape at the moment. I think that the Corona Virus lockdown has given her lots of extra time to train

7 Likes

She must have pushed so so hard doing itā€¦

Bet she said ā€œSchwyzā€ more than once

1 Like

Not sure which Iā€™d prefer, the many many laps of a 5/6% climb or the harder work but less mileage of something like this

The ride profile looks just like a toblerone :joy:

1 Like