Fad or the next best thing

I was watching a GTN video the other day when they showed some of the tech at the 70.3 worlds expo.

This caught my eye…

An aero cooling visor. It’s twin level (WTF) and you can clip your sunglasses to the bottom section so it’s acts as a single unit. Apparently the silver reflective vented strips reflect the sun to help keep you cool and there’s no fabric on your head to make you hot. If you want you can wear a visor/hat back to front.

I mean, really!

Oh, and do we (amateurs) really need aero calf sleeves with little round ‘dots’ on them to make us faster. Does it make that much difference?

Perhaps it’s just me - a decade behind the times with 10 speed manual gears and 23mm tyres.

14 Likes

I’m with you - I still use tubes and rim brakes too.

7 Likes

I still haven’t gone to road tubeless, even though I ride TLR tyres. Latex for me.

4 Likes

Just the proliferation of power meters in the triathlon world has me baffled. Mr has been a cyclist nearly all of his 55 years alive, he has only just added a power meter into his life - because it came with the bike.

I totally get those around here with cycling pedigree and tons of experience. But the newbie “ironman only” crowd go straight to power meters because apparently “their coach says so”.

So it would seem in the triathlon world there is a pot of money being controlled by numpties that will buy anything!

11 Likes

I do have a set that are 10 years old from aerocoach or someone. It was a bit of the team sky mentality when I was looking for a sub 10, marginal gains like 2-4W here and there and tyres etc

Over a 180k flat TT course they add up, a hilly course less so but a by-product is your calf’s don’t get sunburnt!

Not sure I’d use that contraption though :joy:

Edit: I also used a PM as a form guide and on the longer races I used it to cap me effort by getting the Garmin to annoy me if I went over 220W in an IM

1 Like

I’d never had a power meter until I bought my SL8 a couple of years ago and it came as part of the SRAM groupset.

I can see that it would be useful for pacing purposes and I obviously use power on Zwift, but on the road bike it’s just another number on my computer.

It’s “interesting”, but it’s not changed the way that I ride. Maybe if I was using a coach to train for an event it might be useful, but I don’t know how safe it is to do power intervals on the road. That feels like something that would be more suited to the turbo :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

I found a power meter very useful for being a bit of kit I would completely ignore as it was telling me I was going out too hard in a TT or tri. As I ended up walking the run again, it was good to know that the power meter was right and I was wrong.

13 Likes

Nah disagree on power meters, sure they aren’t cheap but it helps you prevent you destroying your race. Yeah you can use HR but it isn’t as easy to tell if your HR is elevated from being fresh and racing.

I’d definitely buy another if mine broke, but I do ride a lot

6 Likes

After my first IM in 2009 and after listening to interviews on the IMTalk broadcast and buying a book I bought a powermeter just prior to my second IM. I turned it off from all the data screens on my garmin so I wouldn’t get carried away - I just wanted to capture the data for that race.

I had all grand plans to train properly to power but in the end I used it to just keep an eye on how hard (or not) I was pushing in training and racing. I had a typical number and for a long steady ride I’d try and stick to it as best as possible. It just reins me in and stops me getting carried away. It’s also rather depressing towards the end of an IM when you’re giving it everything you can but just can’t get the number to increase.

I really like them but have never used one to its potential.

7 Likes

PowerCranks :face_with_peeking_eye: :rofl:

6 Likes

Never had a power meter and rarely looked at my bike computer bar how long it had taken me to do the usual rides to see if I was improving. Always went on RPE and HR.

4 Likes

I guess the other thing with a PM if you’re training seriously is that it’s likely to give you a better ride effort summary than HR? But you need to be training seriously really.

Having said that if you’re having a bad 3w/kg or it’s power equivalent is going to be hard work.

4 Likes

A PM is a vital tool to avoid smoking the bike in an Ironman and repenting on the run. But yeah, not necessarily for one & done instathletes.

10 Likes

Or “lots and done” folks riding for pleasure

:roll_eyes:

7 Likes

These days my outdoor rides are data-blind, just have Garmin on the nav screen. Don’t need to know numbers anymore apart from when I need to be home.

I ride knowing I am, was and will always been an A.b.S.o.L.U.T.e. Leg-end :joy:

8 Likes

What is this Ironman pleasure you speak of?

4 Likes

This is my point.

Mr gets a lot of questions like “why isn’t my power the same on my road bike as it’s been on zwift”. If you’re asking questions like that, then there’s a lot more to focus on before getting the power meter.

Absolutely use one, once you’re on the right bike and have a handle on what you want to achieve. Like I said, there’s a lot of good cyclists round here that make the most of them.

7 Likes

Say no more…

(Ai fiction…)

4 Likes

This account has some great videos. :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

“You don’t just pass your rivals, you straight up penetrate them”

6 Likes